Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

question about addition facts

Posted by   + Show Post

When your little ones learned addition, did you teach the facts first, or teach them how to add?

She is doing well with addition, and knows some by heart, but she doesn't have them all memorized.  I don't even know if I should be working on memorizing??  LOL  We'll be doing Saxon math 1 in a couple weeks, doing the reviews until we find a place that is new or needs review.  I'm sure it will help me along, but of course, being a new HSer, I have to worry about everything.  ;)  jk

What way did your kids learn addition and subtraction?  Any tips?

by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:02 PM
Replies (11-11):
pinkdragonsegg
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 3:03 AM

Idk im kinda just going with the flow lol. I have some addition and subtraction flash cards. I started doing those with them for fun since they were getting tired of abc and 123 flash cards lol (their prek and k), I started using examples like "if i have 5 apples and i eat 2 apples...how many do i have? or if i have 2 apples and i buy 2 more apples, how many do i have? while using my fingers as an example of how many or drawing apples or dots on a dry erase board) My kids love it and are even starting to understand it. :) And the other day at dollar tree i found these small colorful plastic cones, they say thing like "way to go!", "good job!", ect.. Well i bought one of each color. I think im going to make some flash card games with them. Like setting them on the floor in a straight line all like a foot or so apart, making the kids start out at a starting line..if they get a flash card right they move up to the first cone and so on, and if they get them wrong they move back a cone, until they finish the pack, one who makes it to the last cone wins. I figure it will make it more fun. :) So thats what im doing when it comes to math right now. 

Also some learning game websites and worksheets / learning books, ect..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)