Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's your WORST homeschooling mistake?

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 12:55 AM
  • 12 Replies

So what would you say is the worst homeschooling mistake you have made? And how long have you been homeschooling?

This is our 2nd year and my worst mistake was not doing it from day 1! LOL

Other than that my worst mistake Iwould say would be stressing out over if my son was on level, which I quickly got over thanks to many older, wiser homeschool moms good

by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2011 at 2:20 AM

My worst mistake was attempting structured learning and then KEEP doing it year after year, knowing it didn't work for us!  LOL  I tried the schedule, the curriculum, the let's sit down every day for however long and do school.  We were all so stressed, tired, grumpy, my kids weren't remembering anything, I was threatening to send them to school.  Man.  I am in awe of the people who can homeschool that way.  It was torture for us! 

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I too wish I had educated my children from the beginning but I had not heard of home education in 1985 when my oldest started K.  But I tell you, the very year I did hear of it  they were yanked out that very week!!  Have been at it ever since.  I have been at it 19 yrs now.

borgen0128
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Not letting my child be the guide. She is only  4 1/2, but I was pushing her starting at around three. It wasn't until I discovered Montessori that I was able to let go. I never realized how easy parenting and schooling could be until now. 

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2011 at 11:08 AM
Homeschooling officially almost 6 years, since my daughter started kindergarten. Worst mistake was not creating my curriculum from the beginning. This year is the first year hubby finally agreed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermeof3
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Honestly, my daughter was homeschooling for Kindergaren this past school year and I have to admit that my biggest "mistake" was to back off after I lost my Father.   We were doing great w/ homeschooling and after I lost my Dad, I really slacked off.  She is staring 1st grade in the fall at a Catholic school and I am so worried about where she is going to be "level" wise.    I think she will be okay because we did learn a lot and she's a smart cookie that picks things up quickly, I just have that nagging voice in my head :(

oredeb
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM

hmmmmm i'm trying to think of the worst mistake, might take a while and ive been homeschooling 27 years , in sept it will be 28years.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 1, 2011 at 7:51 PM
I'm just starting out so I am interested in the responses. Mine so far was putting dd in public kinder. :( things would be so different now. But you can't go back, so we just have to live and learn!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I'm thinking quite possibly it could be this Saxon math I decided to go with this year. Still making up my mind on that or not.

sew4fun
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Ok so I tried to homeschool last year (didnt really have to but I tried it to see if it was for us she is 4 and can not start public  school this year due to her birthday so I am trying it again this year) I think I tried to do too much to fast not only with homeschooling but also just in general. it was my first year to be a SAHM.

shjohnson
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 12:03 AM
Yea this is the most amazing thing ever! I wished we lived closer to the Montessori school in my area, I would send my son in a heartbeat.

Quoting borgen0128:

Not letting my child be the guide. She is only  4 1/2, but I was pushing her starting at around three. It wasn't until I discovered Montessori that I was able to let go. I never realized how easy parenting and schooling could be until now. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)