Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Story of the World (History) - Anyone use it?

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 8:25 AM
  • 2 Replies

I'm looking at the activity guide for Story of the World - Ancients and it's overwhelming because there are so many options.  I know you don't have to do all of them, they are just suggestions.  

Has anyone used it?  We will be using it for first grade.  Do you really need to do much more than read the stories in the book, and some extra living books?  How much of this do you think they will actually be able to remember and recall?  

by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
swim-mom72
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 8:57 AM

My oldest has used all 4 SOTW books and my youngest is finishing the second half of book 3 and most of book 4 this year. We LOVE them. When we did book one my boys were 8th & 5th grade. So, we added in the activity guide, test booklet, notebooking, readers, read-alouds, encyclopedias, and feild trips. But, with a first grader I would def think your formula sounds great.

What I would use the activity guide for at that age would be the narration prompts, maybe a few of the review questions, the coloring pages, and choose a handfull of the activities. Some of our favorite activities that year were the Nile project, cooking projects, and we did a modified version of the Viking long ship that was so much fun. But, if your child likes the hands on activities better than the coloring once you get started, then do them instead.

Whatever you do, relax and make it FUN. Do not stress about it. The year we did book one has been our favorite year of history so far! Enjoy it.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 1, 2011 at 7:54 PM
Very good info! Thank you! I will definitely use the activity pages. I picked up some library books today as well. I think I'll have her read some of those for her independent reading so we arent trying to cram it all into the history time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)