Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are some things to do with preschoolers ?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 1:35 AM
  • 12 Replies

I tried last year to do preschool and failed so bad I am still depressed about it ! I do not want my girls to go to public school or private schools in my area. I truely want to homeshool. I think last year being my first year to be a SAHM I tried to take on too much at once. Then on top of that wanting to do too much for schooling. I honestly have no idea what to do for preschool. I have people to tell me to do A Beka ,others say no dont do that it is too structred. I am just lost right now LOL. I will say that my girl ( who will be 5 Sept 8th) does not do well with instruction, she does not seem to want to listen and do the "learning" stuff but will craft all day long ! I also want to be able to include my baby ( will be 2 in Oct) in some things. So any ideas ?

by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelleyBamboo
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 1:56 AM
Crafts are always fun and can be super educational! Letteroftheweek.com and notimeforflashcards.com are two of my favorite sites.
We do nature walks, farmer's markets, museums. My kids are both really young still, and catch on to so much just by discussing what's going on. This http://www.worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study.html
is a general outline of what kids should know/grade. I plan to loosely base my lessons around it (though I am not a seasoned HSer like some mamas here)

At your kids' age absolutely EVERYTHING can be a learning experience! Just have fun, make sure they have fun- no pressure for anyone :) focus their interests and let them guide you in the right direction

:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sew4fun
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 3:30 AM

Thank you, I am just so torn as to what to use . Ugg why are there so many choices LOL. I do not want to spend alot of money on this ( I know that sounds bad ) and I think it can be done inexpensively I just do not know where to start. I have learned that I am the type that needs  a guideline and one or two places to find the things I need. I did not do well with searching all over the place to find worksheets and such that she would need for the day or week. I also learned that she will fly through the worksheets ( was doing like 5 in 5 minutes LOL) so I had to go back and search for more things for her to do.

KelleyBamboo
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 4:30 PM
I spend almost no money. Munson isn't pk yet, but don't really see that changing.
Just ask her what she wants to do, maybe do some unit studies or lap books? I agree, there is so much to choose from. Letteroftheweek And lesson pathways are both free sites that basically lay it all out for you, as far as I can tell
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I was going to suggest unit studies and lapbooks as well. Maybe some file folder games?? 

Quoting KelleyBamboo:

I spend almost no money. Munson isn't pk yet, but don't really see that changing.
Just ask her what she wants to do, maybe do some unit studies or lap books? I agree, there is so much to choose from. Letteroftheweek And lesson pathways are both free sites that basically lay it all out for you, as far as I can tell

Kaylon
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Hello, 

Welcome to homeschooling!  I am coming into my second year of homeschooling and I felt like you.. that I failed with the first year of schooling.  With that said,  I know my boys learned alot even though we were really relaxed.  We plan on having a better year this time around.  My guys will be in Kindergarten and 1st grade.  With preschool I would just be relaxed and not push formal learning.  I would take feild trips, play games, computer time (www.abcmouse.com, www.starfall.com are a couple my guys enjoy).  Get in the kitchen together and just have fun and make memories.   Good luck and have fun! :)

P.S.  My birthday is September 8th too.  Wish I was 5 again!! :)

SCmomof3girls
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Quoting Kaylon:

computer time (www.abcmouse.com, www.starfall.com are a couple my guys enjoy). 

Thanks for the ABC mouse recommendation! I went to see what it was and paid for 1 month to check it out. What an awesome site! I showed it to my 3 year old and she sat there playing while  did dishes and the only peep she made was "Wow I won ____ tickets! YAY!" lol. She loves it. Thanks :)

AbundanceMagnet
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 10:07 PM
Since you said your children are into crafts, I would suggest lap books like the previous poster did. I have heard great things about them. :) Don't spend a fortune on expensive curriculum... check out books a million and other book stores for cheap workbooks. We took a couple years just trying to get to know the boys learning styles before I purchased anything really pricey. We still use cheap workbooks except for Math...we use Math-u-see. You might also try www.time4learning.com Its pretty interactive until 3rd grade. My boys used to love it!!!
sew4fun
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 1:32 AM

ok what are lap books ? LOL

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2011 at 1:45 AM

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/level_1_lapbooks.php

If you click one like "Jesse Bear" it has pictures and videos

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN