Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are some things to do with preschoolers ?

Posted by   + Show Post

I tried last year to do preschool and failed so bad I am still depressed about it ! I do not want my girls to go to public school or private schools in my area. I truely want to homeshool. I think last year being my first year to be a SAHM I tried to take on too much at once. Then on top of that wanting to do too much for schooling. I honestly have no idea what to do for preschool. I have people to tell me to do A Beka ,others say no dont do that it is too structred. I am just lost right now LOL. I will say that my girl ( who will be 5 Sept 8th) does not do well with instruction, she does not seem to want to listen and do the "learning" stuff but will craft all day long ! I also want to be able to include my baby ( will be 2 in Oct) in some things. So any ideas ?

by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 1:35 AM
Replies (11-12):
starmy63
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 4:18 PM

My only child is 2, so I'm still very much in the research/introductory phases of home learning, and don't have a lot of experience or professional ideas.  I've been doing a lot of research to set up daily mini-classes with my little girl, and there are a few resources I've really enjoyed.  I found "Preschool Activities in a Bag" yesterday (http://www.activitybags.com/ActivityBags_4/Activity_Bags_Photos.html), and think it looks like a great system.  I've gotten some ideas from the pictures, and I'm busy brainstorming my own versions for my daughter until I can afford the book. 

I also like http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/preschool_activities.htm and "501 TV-free Activities for Kids", which are really more ideas for keeping your chidren active, but there are a ton of wonderful ideas and many of them are innately educational and could be adapted to a more guided educational environment. 

I think it's wonderful you want to take such an active role in your preschoolers' education, so be proud that you're making such a big sacrifice to put your children first.  Keep up the good work!

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 7:06 AM

The biggest blessing about homeschooling is that you do not have to repeat the mistakes of the public school system. Here are some ideas for preschool: (young children learn best while at play and real life experiences.

1. while you color with her teach colors.  It also teaches hand dexterity for learning to write later (help her stay within the lines)

2.  Here is an article about how to teach Sequencing ( a skill needed later for comprehension)

3.  Sing the ABC song while on walks.  Once they know their ABC's,  draw the letters in the sand while going for walks. 

4.  Have them help you cook, and teach them measurements at the same time.  Here is an article Unschoolong that gives you some ideas.

5.  Understanding their learning styles is also very helpful.  Some children are hands on learners (workbooks are a disaster for these children), SJ personalities do well with workbooks, the NF learns best with discussion and interaction, and the NT love the logical approach (they ask tuns of questions).

6.  All the personality types seem to do well with real life experiences and play learning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN