Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I feel like I have an obligation

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 2:07 AM
  • 26 Replies
To teach Spanish or Chinese.

We have a very German (and Irish) heritage, and were planning on German as our kids' foreign language. I kind of feel though, that we would ne doing them a disservice by not teaching a language that is more prominently spoken where we live..

What are your views on foreign language?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 2:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TroyboysMom
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Why? We teach/use ASL and French. We live in Southern California. I teach those languages not because they are predominantly used here (they aren't), but because I have a background and knowledge in them, and I believe that for true fluency in language, you need to teach what you know. Do you currently know or speak Spanish or a Chinese dialect? Languages are full of idiomatic phrasing and nuance, and without truly knowing a language (or at least having a strong base in it), certain things like the slight shifts in accent on syllables for words are easily misunderstood (which, when idioms come into play, can leave someone saying something entirely different than what they intend to say.). If German is where you are comfortable, stick with German. It's a beautiful language.

KelleyBamboo
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 3:01 AM
Prominently = predominantly
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sew4fun
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 3:27 AM

I have not gotten to this point in my HS'ing yet but I know that German can come in handy for them in many job choices as they get older. Just as an example my husband is a police officer and I was a dispatcher for many years and we were always needing someone that knew German to translate on calls. I know that German is also needed in many other positions such as fire, and the medical field not to mention teaching. I would do what you feel comfortable with. And there is nothing that says you can not teach more than one foreign language. With Chinese from what I have heard while working there are many differnt dialects and it is hard to  know them all and use them all IRL. Now spanish I know is a good one to learn as well. Again I would go with what you feel best about.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2011 at 11:58 AM

We only teach greek/latin roots and some sign language.  Never could get into teaching a language that we didn't need.  To each his own in that department :)

oredeb
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

teach em while they are young it comes easier!

KelleyBamboo
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 4:05 PM
We plan to use total immersion classes for any language. German is my second language, and while I wouldn't consider myself fluent anymore, I certainy know enough to get by.
Sew4fun, thanks! I didn't realize German was so in demand, that makes me feel a lot better. While I was unsure about what would be best, I KNOW I'm not comfortable not being able to help them in any way when they have questions.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelleyBamboo
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 4:07 PM
Bren? I always thought foreign language was a requirement for graduation??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandra1023
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Quoting KelleyBamboo:

I think that varies depending on where you are.  I have a Maters degree and have never had a foreign language class in my life.  We have been working on Spanish and ASL with my son. 

katzmeow726
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 4:18 PM
Spanish is a big language down here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelleyBamboo
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 4:21 PM
Makes sense. I just remember almost not walking with my class because I was failing German at the time.
We do basic ASL here as well. :)

Quoting sandra1023:

Quoting KelleyBamboo:

I think that varies depending on where you are.  I have a Maters degree and have never had a foreign language class in my life.  We have been working on Spanish and ASL with my son. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)