Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like I have an obligation

Posted by   + Show Post
To teach Spanish or Chinese.

We have a very German (and Irish) heritage, and were planning on German as our kids' foreign language. I kind of feel though, that we would ne doing them a disservice by not teaching a language that is more prominently spoken where we live..

What are your views on foreign language?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 2:07 AM
Replies (21-26):
FlyHippie
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 2:33 PM

We speak spanish and english at home... and honestly, I'd teach German or Irish! If it's what your family is, then do it!

Once they get to highschool or whatever you can incorporate a third language and it will be that much easier for them to learn.

Chillisarah
by Member on Aug. 3, 2011 at 9:06 PM

I think it's important. If I were you, I would teach them German, Spanish and Chinese. (if that's not too much for you)

I really want my kids and myself to be polyglots.

smc0178
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 10:17 PM

we will be learning Spanish this year, mostly b/c I will be learning it in college and thought that this would be a good time to incorporate it into their lessons

Cafe Kate
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I think teaching any language is great -- and it's much easier to do one that you're familiar with. I speak German -- and have no German heritage. I just started learning the language and really liked it. I've found it very helpful to understanding grammar and the roots of many words. Spanish is very useful these days, but they can always pick that up later. 

I actually taught German for a while and there are so many great online resources for kids. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I hope to teach Spanish because it is so prominent in the US, anymore.

KelleyBamboo
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 11:06 PM
What do you use for your kids!?

I think I've decided in German or mandarin, and Latin.

Quoting Cafe Kate:

I think teaching any language is great -- and it's much easier to do one that you're familiar with. I speak German -- and have no German heritage. I just started learning the language and really liked it. I've found it very helpful to understanding grammar and the roots of many words. Spanish is very useful these days, but they can always pick that up later. 

I actually taught German for a while and there are so many great online resources for kids. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)