Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone else in Texas ? ( how to I find out what I need to do to homeschool)

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 3:41 AM
  • 15 Replies

I know that I more than likely will not have to do anything this year since her Birthday is 7 days too late to go to public school here . But how or where do I find out what I need to do to officially homeschool ?  Also I was just wondering if there were any other mama's near me. I am about 30 miles from Dallas Texas.

by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 3:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 2, 2011 at 8:07 AM
I believe the website is www.hslda.com that has all the state official rules. I can't link at the moment, I apologize. But that is an awesome starting point to tell you what is required of you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Believe it or not, there is nothing you have to do to homeschool in Texas! We just moved here about 8 months ago and I was shocked. It is one of the most liberal states as far as homeschooling goes.

Sorry, I am not close to the Dallas area, but there are huge numbers of homeschoolers in and around Dallas. Look for them on yahoo or even type it in to the search bar on CafeMom.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Melissa6705
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 9:09 AM
You don't have to do anything!! Great news huh? I live in Fort Worth and have a 7 year old. Where are you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 2, 2011 at 11:39 AM
Look up the laws so that you know them in case someone gives you trouble
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I did my first 12 yrs or so of home educating in TX. It is an awesome homeschool state. You do not do anything. Do not report, test, anything.  You just need to teach your child.  They only say that you are to teach your child the basics . 

sew4fun
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 3:00 PM

I am in Forney , if I ever get another car maybe we can meet up when it cools down at the Zoo . I have been wanting to take the girls to the Zoo in Ft Worth and isnt there a cowboy/cowgirl museum there too ?

Quoting Melissa6705:

You don't have to do anything!! Great news huh? I live in Fort Worth and have a 7 year old. Where are you?

sew4fun
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Yes that is great news ! I was pretty sure I did not have to do anything but wanted to be sure and wanted to find the laws and look them up anyway.

MommaTasha1003
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 7:39 PM

We do nothing! :-)  ... Im from baytown - right outside of houston.

Next week we will be visiting the dallas area to visit an Aunt, go to NRH20 Water Park & visit The 6th floor museum to see JFKs exhibit .

AbundanceMagnet
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Wow, so many of you ladies in the same area, that's awesome!  And even more wonderful that you don't have to do ANYTHING!!!   WOO HOO!!!  Florida is pretty relaxed but nothing, I LOVE IT!!!

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 6:44 AM

the South East Texas Home School Association will provide you ways to connect with others in your area, legal information, conventions, ext.  that link is:

http://www.sethsa.org/index.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)