Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Montessori learning ?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 3:55 AM
  • 3 Replies

Ok so I am homeschool dumb and do not know alot of the different ways to do it. I have tried to research this but am not getting anywhere . Can anyone tell me about it ? What are the pro's how do I do it ect ? Or even help me with links so I can research it? Thanks so much !

by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 3:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
borgen0128
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM

I love montessori. I would start by reading Maria Montessori's books the Absorbent Mind and Discovery of a Child. I would not browse the internet until you have a clear perspective from Maria herself. She also has a few other books, but I would start with those two. I also recommend ordering Michael Olaf's catalog. It is only $6 and not only does it display beautiful products you can order for your children at home, it also sums up each category of montessori page by page. It is hard to explain how wonderful the Montessori method is in a just a few paragraphs. Montessori at home will never be the same as a Montessori school , but many of the methods can be used in your home with great success. We have many montessori items in our home, and our environment has a montessori feel. I would start with practical life exercises first, such as sweeping, arranging flowers, polishing silver, etc. Another great book to help you get started using these activities is Raising an Amazing Child the Montessori Way, Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. 

Maridel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2011 at 10:55 PM

I love the book Raising an Amazing Child the Montessori Way, as the PP said! Montessori is a hands on learning style, with a do it yourself mentality for children. Preschoolers are capable of doing so much more when we shrink our world down to their size. Some ideas are focusing your days around letting your child helping you around the house, learning to put their own stuff away, bathing themselves. Keeping an organized shelf with baskets for them to put their toys away, while keeping the shelf simple and not over cluttered. Let your child have a broom their own size, a marked placemat showing where the plate, spoon and cups go etc... As far as academics go, Montessori focuses more on manipulatives. Developing the fine motor skills before teaching writing, teaching letters with sandpaper or other sensory feels to it helps children memorize their letters. And soo much more but hopefully you get the idea. I definitely recommend the books previously mentioned.

sew4fun
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Oh awesome thank you !  I will look more into it. I think Jo is very much a hands on learner however it is a constant battle to get her to help around the house, so I am not sure that will work LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)