Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Games for a 2 year old

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 8:02 AM
  • 10 Replies
We have a TON of games. Hungry hippo, hi ho cherry o, chutes and ladders, about a million others.

However, it seems the only one we can allow the 2 year old to play is elefun. She takes off with things, and still outs everything in her mouth (I cannot wait for this phase to be over).

What are some board game type games you play(ed) with your 2 year old? I want to include her more, but she is very... Sheesh, I don't know how to put "rotten" nicely. ;) hehee
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SouthernMama08
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I don't think I'm much help.  My son was playing Memory and Hi-Ho-Cheero at 2 years.  But he LOVES games.

Maybe Curious George Discovery Beach game? http://www.target.com/Curious-George-Discovery-Beach-Game/dp/B001P4J01U

My son got it for his 3rd birthday, but it's super fun.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 2, 2011 at 10:45 AM
My first daughter could have easily played any of these games. They are polar opposites.
as I type this, I had to stop because she was putting chalk in the dogs water bowl and writing on the floor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM

My 2.5 year old is the same way, everything in the mouth, ripping things UGH!!! She's is such a busy ( extremely hyper ) girl!!

oredeb
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 1:54 PM

hahahahah what about when you play just give her some dominos to play with, or let her play with one of the players(partners) thats what we did,

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 2, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I feel so awful complaining about her all the time.  I'm having a hard time adjusting to what she needs.  We're a very low key kind of family.  We like to read, camp, take walks, etc.  

She likes to tear up books, eat sand and rocks, run, pick up leaves and eat them, destroy everything she comes in contact with.  LOL  I only *wish* I was exaggerating.  She exhausts me by the end of the day and wakes up before the sun.  I'm running out of ideas, and energy.  

All my life I have been this extremely quiet, mellow, laid back person.  Then I had Chelsey and I feel like I am yelling all the time.  "No!  Put that down"  "No!  Don't break that!"

I know that it is her personality, she is curious and has a lot of energy and I need to focus it on something positive.  I'm working on it, I'm really really trying.  I just... don't know what else to do...

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I understand completely. I am at my wits end by bedtime. In fact, DD is in her bed crying 'cause she wants to stay awake and well, her bedtime is 9pm every night.

I feel like my house is falling apart. I can't keep up with my 2 year old and 8 month old. They are demanding so much of my time, more than I was prepared for. Ahh! It's so hard!

I love my children dearly and thank God for blessing us with them, but I still struggle 

AbundanceMagnet
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM

What about Twister???  :)  Might be a little hard at that age but could be fun!!! :)  Might have to cheat a little and just give colors that are close by for those little arms and legs :)

starmy63
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 3:39 PM

My 2 yo is more sedate, so I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer, but I did babysit a little guy with that kind of energy, so I can sympathize.  :)  The only thoughts that came to mind were that you can either adjust the games to her level, or come up with board games that meet her needs.  For something like Chutes and Ladders, you could have her use her own special markers for games, like pb playdough characters or crackers, so that if she eats them or takes off with them it doesn't matter.  You could make the games more active for her, like make a big die out of a cardboard box that she could throw for her turn, or every time she makes a move or does something successful she can jump off the couch or run around the table.  I don't know, you could have her act out some of the turn-based games, with colored felt squares on the floor she can jump around on rather than using a little piece on a board.  I don't have the Cherry-o game, but it sounds like you could give her baskets with red sock balls and let her physically move her personal 'cherries' to the correct bins on her turn.

You could come up with your own versions of the games for her, or create some personalized board games that are more on her level.  You could let her bowl with empty cans and a rubber bouncy ball.  You could use colored bean bags and throw them into matching colored squares on a sheet of cardboard.  You could use an empty egg carton, cut holes in the bottom of each egg 'square' and let her move a clothespin in and out of the holes as a makeshift board.  When I was a kid, we had a game called Pass the Pizza or something like that (I've never been able to find it), where you had a cardboard slice of pizza with spaces for different toppings.  The toppings were on markers on the floor that you had to turn over and find a match to be able to put on your pizza.  If she likes to mouth everything, you could adapt this for real life meals, like make a crazy sandwich, and put the various toppings under cups she has to turn over and match. 

I wish you all the best with your active little one!  I know how exhausting it can be to keep up with that kind of energy.  Good luck!

FlyHippie
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Your daughter sounds like she could be mine...or me! LOL!

My kids were very much the same way and so is my granddaughter. I haven't ever even ATTEMPTED a board game for them at two. We did races, marching, dancing, jumping (can you jump all the way through this song?), obstacle courses, etc.

From one mega active personality that spawned the same...haha...to you....work that energy OUT! Wait a while on the sit and focus games....EWWWWW!!!!!

starmy63
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Sorry to talk so much, but I just remember something else.  This is off-topic, but I just remembered one of my favorite resources.  It's a book called "501 TV-Free Activities for Kids", by Di Hodges, printed by Hinkler Books Pty Ltd.  The activities are for children about 2-10, but a lot of them can be easily adapted for younger and older audiences.  The activities are arranged into categories like "Cooking and Gardening", "Math is Fun", "Outdoor Play", etc., and there's activities for all ages in each category.  There are so many great ideas, and there are a lot of active projects for busy children.  There are varying levels of parental complexity, but generally the activities take little preparation, or are based on stuff you most likely just have on hand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)