Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Community Safety

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 9:51 AM
  • 7 Replies

Purpose:  Create a plan and budget for slowing highway traffic through a small town, then presenting this plan to the Town Council.

Backstory:  We live in a small town in Wyoming.  A busy state highway runs through the middle of our town.  The posted speed limit on the highway is 65 miles an hour to the west, and 45 miles an hour to the east (intersection).  There are both reduce speed and speed limit signs at both ends of town, well before you enter in either direction.  The posted highway speed limit in town is 35 miles per hour.  We live on the corner of the highway as you come into town from the west.  Semis come hurtling down the hill at all hours of the day and night, at all speeds.  

I get really angry and frustrated, and I want to stand in the middle of the highway with big signs or air traffic control signals, but those are probably not very effective solutions!  

I have seen vehicles, not just big trucks, but other vehicles as well (they are just more noticeable because of the noise), come flying past our house at incomprehensible speeds.  They worry me, because if anyone of those lost control of the vehicle, we'd have extra guests for supper because they'd be sitting in our living room.  There are all manner of dogs and kids in this community, and people walk across the highway all the time.  

The town has one of those electronic speed reading machines (I don't know the official name).  Sometimes they set it up in front of our house, and it seems to help, but even when it's there, it's not always on.  

We've thought about putting up silhouettes of children, or people near the highway, or one of those little SLOW children people, or even a sign, but then I don't know.  When our sherriff or police officer do sit nearby, they get plenty of action. 

What are some ideas that you ladies have?  How would you make your town safer?

by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
oredeb
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM

to make our town safer i'd have to move! theres only 1 of us and almost million everyone else!hahaha

i know what you mean about driving to fast though! down our road! it bugs me and dh so much! we did call the sheriff and they do patrol sometimes and set up the motorcycle cop around one of the corners to get people! we sit out there in our lawn chairs and watch!hahahah we are easily amused!

well with a small town it seems you'd be heard better if your complaining alot, put up crosses all along there that might help, get there licence number and turn them in?

ive thought about putting a cardboard person in the middle of the road to help people slow down, they'd probably run right over it though. maybe ask at the police station what could be done? in one of our small towns they set up an old police car on the side of the road , now that really slows people down alot there! some people are so rude and in a hurry when driving !

AbundanceMagnet
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 7:07 AM

I think the Children at play would be a good thing!!!  I think if its that bad the police department is going to have to beef up watch.  If its known as a "speed trap" it will slow down quick!  Do you have town meetings?  

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Well traffic got slowed down by our house yesterday!

Two semis were hauling HUGE controller houses for the CBM fields north of us, and one of them drove under the power line and knocked it down.  My DH and I were taking a break and hanging out on the computer, and all of a sudden there was no power at all.  He looked out the window, and there was a fire in the empty lot just down the street, where the power line had gone down!  They got it out quickly, and had people flagging traffic while they worked on getting the power line back up, and the trucks through town.  Something finally slowed down traffic in front of our house!

We asked the flagger if it was possible for him to just stay there permanently :).  I don't think he thought that was a great idea!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 24, 2011 at 7:48 AM
Wow! I'm glad you guys are okay! Hopefully this will make a change happen soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Quoting AbundanceMagnet:

I think the Children at play would be a good thing!!!  I think if its that bad the police department is going to have to beef up watch.  If its known as a "speed trap" it will slow down quick!  Do you have town meetings?  

We do have town meetings, once a month, and I am going to address the town council.  I put this situation to several groups to see if I could come up with some possible solutions and a rough budget for each before I went to them.  If I go with a plan and the council just has to decide and act, it will take a lot less time than if they have to "look into it".  I am sure that's the same everywhere!  

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 7:56 AM

Thanks! :)  The really funny thing is, this had nothing to do with the crazy speeds.  These guys were coming from the other direction, and were actually going fairly slow.  Usually one of the pilot vehicles for something that huge has a height flag to show the truck driver if he is going to be able to clear everything going down the road, but for some reason these guys didn't, and the buildings were too tall to get under the wires safely.  That could have been a huge disaster, and we praise the Lord that everyone is okay!

Quoting Boobah:

Wow! I'm glad you guys are okay! Hopefully this will make a change happen soon!

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Here are some pictures of our road on a normal day...

This is the view coming from the west, through town.  Some folks are speeding coming this direction, but a lot of them do slow down on the way through town.

Here's the view from our front porch.  My camera died as I was zooming in on the speed limit sign, but there is one quite a ways up the hill, and a "Reduced Speed Ahead" sign before that. (And a no exhaust brakes sign at the top of the hill, but that gets ignored too).  We have very heavy truck traffic, and a lot of pickups and horse trailers (There are college rodeo teams on several sides of us, local ropings, weekend rodeos, and ranchers hauling through), as well as passenger vehicles.

We have the speed reader (whatever it's called), and when it's on, it often seems to help, but for some reason it's not always on.  Our deputy sherriff or our police officer often wait just to the right of this picture, or in the driveway where the red truck is in the above picture, or at the other end of town, and they are always busy when they do!  We also have a highway patrolman based here who catches a few when he swings through.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN