Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Quick Question

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 10:36 AM
  • 10 Replies

Since my son has never been in a public school do I have to register that I am homeschooling or will it be assumed that he isn't registered at any public school that he is being homeschooled? And why exactly does the government need to know anyway?

by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countjb
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 10:48 AM
You need to check the laws within your state.
Earthy_Mom
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Thanks ladies.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Yes each state has their own requirements.  Welcome to homeschooling and welcome to the GROUP!!!  Btw I like your screen name!!!

Earthy_Mom
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Thanks for the welcome! And I didn't realize homeschooling had different laws in each state. Discovered where I am at I can opt to delay formal schooling until 8... I am not even sure what that means lol.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Here in Ohio, we have to notify at 7. Notifying at 8, isn't too bad. LOL One or two years less paper work!

Earthy_Mom
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Lol. Less paper work. I'm in Arizona, it stated that I have to register him at 6 (he's 5 1/2) but has a place to check for opting to delay formal education until 8. That's what had me confused, I have to register any child between the ages of 6 and 16, but they let you opt to delay until 8.

I will put off filing paperwork and telling anyone what I plan on doing as long as possible. I've always felt school should be between parent and child, not between parent, child and everyone in the government.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I like that Arizona has the option of starting later. My son (turned six in January) would have done better with that type of option than the ones the offered here. Good luck on your homeschooling journey!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 5:57 AM

Quoting Earthy_Mom:

I've always felt school should be between parent and child, not between parent, child and everyone in the government.

AGREEED!!!!!!

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Honestly they don't.  It is none of their business! But if you are going to go by your state laws you need to look them up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)