Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you teach an only child?

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 7:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

Its EASY but im finding its boring... Im bored.. And I think she is kinda bored.. I need another kid to teach along with her! I babysat a kid last year & "classtime" was fun then-so i feel a huge diffrence now...

So what am I doing wrong?! She doesnt want to do the cute/silling songs -- but loves doing it during story time at the library with other kids.. I love creating educational games that go with what we are learning, but really I know she would enjoy it more if there was another child to play with.Playing games with mommy are OK. But games are so much more fun when you are around peers & can be competitive with those on your level.

A huge peice is missing from our class time! And Im starting to question it all & think maybe its better she be in class with other kids to interact with while learning.. Im very mixed with emotion!

Any advice? What has worked for you?!

by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2011 at 7:07 PM

My daughter was an only 'schooler' for a few years, too. I got her into several group activities and that seemed to really help. Having the groups to look forward to made the single one on one time easier. Have you tried setting up a few structured Art and Music playdates at your house? You might be helping out another mom in the same position. 8)

CafeMom Tickers

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM

There is a mom here where I live that has an only child & she is offering a class/play group to the kids in the community 3 times a week for a few hours at a time & she has gotten a lot of kids to sign up. so you could try something like that.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 5:43 AM

I would def suggest some kind of co-op/homeschool classes!  Are there any in your area?  Sometimes the local recretation departments and libraries offer these!  If not you might suggest it and see if they are willing to try to get a group together to do something!  It might not be completely free but usually fairly cheap! 

SouthernMama08
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I have an only child.  He's 3.5 and in preschool.  And a total social butterfly.  LOVES being around other kids.  But that being said, he does well with just him in class.  But during the school year (when his cousins are in school), he's in an extra class (it's been gymnastics for the past 1.5 years).  We belong to the local MOPS group, so he gets that twice a month.  We do the park at lest once a week.

So he gets to play with other kids, so he does pretty well with being the only kid. 

Loving wife ...Proud Homeschooling Mama ...TTC#2 ...BLOGGING it all on the way...Follow me at Throwing Marshmallows

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Joining a homeschool co-op can provide group learning, and support for you.  If you contact your State Homeschool Association, they can almost always help you find a group near you.

If you are not sure how to locate your association, following is a link.  Simply click on your State, and it will take you to one or three choices to choose from.

MommaTasha1003
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Thank you for the advice ladies. I do plan on joining a HS group & getting involved in whatever I can find. But actually creating something is very different. I am terribly shy & have some anxiety issues that Im having to hurdle over just to join a regular group, so being the "leader" and a newbie to homeschooling is practically out of the question.

But its not fun time she is missing. We get out for her to play with others, its actually the learning time that is hard & feels as if something is missing. *sigh* the leap off the path is  tough!

luvthesoap
by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 11:25 AM

How about getting her in some co-op classes with other homeschoolers?

Betty in Ky

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I completely understand the anxiety issues, I have a few of my own and IRL, I have trouble talking to new people. It took me until my third year of homeschooling to work out of my shell, but it is SO much more fun to homeschool for me and the kids now that I can talk to the other adults. 8)

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

Thank you for the advice ladies. I do plan on joining a HS group & getting involved in whatever I can find. But actually creating something is very different. I am terribly shy & have some anxiety issues that Im having to hurdle over just to join a regular group, so being the "leader" and a newbie to homeschooling is practically out of the question.

But its not fun time she is missing. We get out for her to play with others, its actually the learning time that is hard & feels as if something is missing. *sigh* the leap off the path is  tough!

CafeMom Tickers

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2011 at 8:29 PM

For the songs and stuff what about DVDs (or videos on youtube) that show the kids singing and doing motions and stuff?  I think others have covered out-of-the-house suggestions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)