Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Trying to find a non digital thermometer.....

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM
  • 11 Replies

but it appears they are not sold anymore in stores. The only one I found was for fevers only, so the lowest setting was 96F. If you found one in a store, can you tell me where please :)  We don't care for ordering online (and actually need it soon) but will if we have to.

by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 7:38 PM
You are looking for a small one or outside one?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Earthy_Mom
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 7:40 PM

I haven't seen one in years... I've looked too. The only non-digital thermometers I can find anymore are for cooking, and they start at like 120-130F.

SCmomof3girls
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Just a small one. I almost bought an outside one but it only went up to 100F and it needs to measure boiling water.  One of the pharmacists told me to try a cooking one...I found 2. One started at 100F and the other was only Farenheit (it needs to have both that and Celcius). I thought this would be an easy task to find one, but I guess not, lol. I am thinking we will have to suck it up and order online. The one DH found was like $3.00...with $7.00 shipping.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 8:17 PM
Hum, try a drug store? Walmart, maybe. Never seen onr at Target.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bugfree
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 8:20 PM

I bought my non digital thermometer at a home school consignment store.  I'm not sure where to buy one locally to you, but I would try a teacher supply store or lab store. 

Online places to buy thermometers:

Edmunds Scientific has really nice thermometers.   http://www.scientificsonline.com/partial-immersion-thermometers.html 

Lakeshore Learning also has a couple:

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|searchResults~~p|TR282~~.jsp

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|searchResults~~p|2534374302108172~~.jsp

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Would the infant thermometers for taking a rectal temp. work? I just checked my candy thermometer and it has both measurements but starts at 100*F. Good luck!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 5, 2011 at 8:08 AM
I've seen outdoor thermometers at the dollar store that aren't digital. Maybe try there?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetserenit292
by Member on Aug. 5, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I have a non digital thermometer but it is intended for outside. I got it from Wal-Mart .  It goes from -40 to 120.  It is made by ACU-RITE  and cost me maybe $1.50  It is about 3 in across and 8 in high. It was in the back aisles where paint / toilet seats/ and weather stripping are located.

oredeb
by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 10:46 AM

try target, or walmart? winco, thats where i found mine for making candy and cooking roasts, poultry

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I would try Walgreens or Tractor Supply(they have everything!). And if you are using it for checking the temp of boiling water, then i would not use a rectal therm since they are not intended for such extreme temps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)