Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home school must haves ?

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok so I want to do things right this time and make them work and have everyone happy. What are some "MUST HAVES" for home educating ? I will be doing pre-k this year I am thinking more along the lines of book shelves,desk, organizers ect .. things like that not curriculum type stuff.

by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 12:33 AM
Replies (11-16):
fygfitness_mom
by on Aug. 6, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Quoting 2turtles:

a battery operated pencil sharpener.  I bought one 2 years ago.. we take it with us in the backpack when we go places. 

Totally agree, a must have!

luvthesoap
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 9:40 AM

a good laser printer. There are TONS of free worksheets & unit studies online. My printer broke & I feel like I've lost a good friend! I'm getting a new onethis weekend. They have a sale at Staples. I

m getting a brother laser printer for $60! GOOD DEAL! IT's not color, but I only need a black n white one. Since you have little ones, you might want to get a color one.

Betty in KY

sew4fun
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Oh this was awesome !!! Gave me some good ideas thank you

Quoting fygfitness_mom:

I took a few minutes to think about your question and asked my girls what they thought, we looked around the classroom and this is what we came up with. My girls are in third & fourth grade. Not sure if any of this applies to you but I hope it helps.

large white board - It's a wonderful teaching tool as well as tons of fun for my girls. Both of my girls and my husband agreed it is the tool we use the most.

small white boards - we all use them and I couldn't imagine not having them

our large table - both of my girls have their own desks and I have my own. They all used to be in the classroom along with our big table (it's around 5' x 2'). Last year the girls spent almost no time at their desks and all their time at the table so we moved their desks into their rooms to allow them a space for quiet study time and just kept the big table in the classroom.

dry-erase flashcards - my girls love creating their own cards and we use them for not only math but spelling and vocabulary..really just about anything they need to study for.

*For all our dry-erase surfaces we have a collection of many different colored markers and crayons that we use. We use a basket that is screwed to the wall to hold them and the erasers. We have three regular erasers and a hand one. To care for the boards we use the dry-erase cleaners spray and a soft cloth.

bookshelves & old entertainment center - we have three bookshelves in our classroom and a large old wooden entertainment center. The entertainment center has created cubbies for my girls as well as myself. They hold their odds & inns for their subjects as well as extra supplies for the classroom.

camcorder - okay, I know not everyone is going to need this and if they have one they don't use it but we use it all the time. The girls love to use it to record their daily lives and this year are talking about having their very own news station. It also allows daddy to see what we are doing all day which he loves.

web cam - we use this as a tool for my girls to not only video chat with family and friends but it is pretty awesome for them to have video pals right along with their pen-pals. Also, they attend a virtual school so it is awesome when they are speaking with their "teacher".

My core secrets ball - This ball is mine and I use it a great deal when I am at my desk. It helps my back and helps work my abs while I am sitting. What I didn't expect it to do was help my girls too. My eldest daughter has ADHD and this ball is a miracle for her. She sits in it while she is doing bookwork or studying and the constant motion helps keep her from being distracted for longer periods of time. It's awesome!

stereo/iTunes - We have both but use the iTunes the most. It's nice to be able to play mood music or listen to a podcast or audio book.

three drawer plastic organizers - we created our arts & crafts center around two of these. They hold all of our craft supplies (or most of them anyway). We use a shower caddy for our brushes, sponges and old ceramic mugs.

I'm sorry if all of this was way off but as we looked around and thought about our everyday these were the things that came up. There is more but I figured this list was already too long. I hope we helped!

sew4fun
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Thank you ! I did want to look into these

Quoting luvthesoap:

a good laser printer. There are TONS of free worksheets & unit studies online. My printer broke & I feel like I've lost a good friend! I'm getting a new onethis weekend. They have a sale at Staples. I

m getting a brother laser printer for $60! GOOD DEAL! IT's not color, but I only need a black n white one. Since you have little ones, you might want to get a color one.

Betty in KY

fygfitness_mom
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Quoting sew4fun:

Oh this was awesome !!! Gave me some good ideas thank you 

You're welcome! :-) Can't wait to read all about what you set up for your little one.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2011 at 1:45 PM

A laser printer! It has saved us so much money since we upgraded. There are so many resources online, especially for the younger kids, that you can print off. It's great. 8)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)