Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Wow! Now I'm confused.

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2011 at 11:02 AM
  • 2 Replies

A big reason we decided to homeschool was because my son seemed to be getting left behind at school.  He said everything was too hard for him. I thought the math especially was moving too fast.. HIs teacher was great, but only so much she could do with having 24 other kids. She said he is a smart boy, but does't really try.  Last year, when he was taking his week long state tests, she came to me and told me she was worried he wasn't trying.  He was the first kid done and just seemed to write answers down.  Yesterday we got the results of the state test and he came back Advanced in math and nearly Advanced in language arts.  He  scored a 97% in one area of math and a 93% in another. 

So now I'm confused, He obviously was getting what he needed from school to pass with such high remarks.  I think maybe we'll use this year of homeschooling to focus on self-esteem.  I know he was in a high-acheiving school, so that could have played an issue into not 'feeling' smart.

by on Aug. 7, 2011 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
sew4fun
by on Aug. 7, 2011 at 11:15 AM

WOW that is great that he did that good. It does sound to me from what I have read here that maybe he does just have self-esteem issues. I would go ahead and do the homeschool and try to challenge him a little . I wouldnt try to make it too hard but still challenge him a little bit. There is nothing saying you can not homeschool a "gifted" oradvanced child :)

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM

There are two personality types that this is common with...the SJ (hands on learner) and the NT (the intellectual).  Based on what you are telling us, I think he is most likely the NT personality.

Einstein was an NT, and his teachers thought him too dumb to learn anything.  These children are very bright, and ask tuns of questions to the annoyance of their teachers.  However they do not see any need to prove to others (or to study) things they already  know.  To them, this is a total waste of their time, and they are more interested in venturing into the next unknown.  

My little brother is an NT, and he often ditched his elementry school classes.  One day the principle followed him, and discovered he was going to the local library to study what interested him (school was just not keeping up with his insatiable desire to learn. 

There is a book called Please Understand Me II, by David Keirsey that talks about the learning styles of the different personalities, and I have fount it very helpful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN