Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Field trip ideas

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 1:49 PM
  • 8 Replies

I thought it would be nice/cool if we all shared our field trip ideas. Please share your ideas with us !

by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sew4fun
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I plan on getting a yearly membership to the zoo.

I will take the girls to the children's museum at least once this year.

the planetarium

IMAX ( when they show educational or nature shows)

The art museum

Farmers market

I want to find a local farm to visit as well.

There is an orchard nearby that I want to take the girls to this fall and let them pick their own fruit!

I think there is a berry picking farm too.

The aquarium

and I want to think of some more things too.

sew4fun
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I even thought about taking her shopping with her own money but she may be too young for that .

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Tours of the library and water treatment plant. Our city also has tours for the fire station and police station.

Living outside of the capital of our state means that we have several museums, science centers and the State House we can visit. Also, since we live in Ohio, there are plenty of farms that are on our other side to visit. LOL I live 20 minutes from where the governor works and 20 minutes from a hog farm.

MommaTasha1003
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 9:11 PM

post office-I dont know if it is possible but I thought it would be cool to have a field trip there.  IDK if they would let you tour anything for security reasons, but it may be interesting to actually GO inside & see where the mail comes from..

Library - Have them take kid behind the scene to see a books journey from being dropped off, checked in & reshelfed. Walk the child through the whole library, show them study rooms, microfilm rooms, and so on -- there is much more to the library than the kids sections a child usually sees for the first few years.

Fire Station....

Our town has a FREE Wetlands center we just went to that was pretty cool!  We also have a 450 acre Nature Center that is really fun & educational about 5 minutes down the street that we plan on going to more often (its too hot in the summer, and I will only go there if I have DH or other adult just to be safe)

We have a Zoo membership, so go often. And we had a Museum Membership, but may not renew it for a few years until DD gets a little older & can have a new level of understanding :)  ...

We just try our best to take her to anything & everything we learn about that is in our budget at the time. She is almost 5 & has recently ask to go to an Art Museum! So I guess we will be going soon! And this weekend we are taking a mini-vaca to dallas & going to see where JFK was shot & going to the 6th floor museum.

MommaTasha1003
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 9:13 PM

As soon as they are old enough: City Council Meetings are GREAT! and taking your child to vote with you when any elections come up -- Get them involved & understanding how it works now will make it normal & second nature as they get older.

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Aug. 8, 2011 at 9:43 PM

here's a good site to check out:

factorytoursusa.com

They have one I knew about before that we are hopefully going to do next week.

We also do/have done

museums (art, science, historical, etc.)

well-known monuments (been to Statue of Liberty, The Alamo, etc.)

the farm

nature walks

police station

zoo/wild animal places

aquariums

the beach

concerts/performances

Brandysmom1107
by on Aug. 9, 2011 at 9:53 AM
Magic house
zoo
science center
Orchards
grants farm
botanical gardens
The arch
saadamarie
by on Aug. 9, 2011 at 9:56 AM

the zoo, and a few craft places, local bakery, pizza parlor tour, farmers market, and a few history monuments around the states!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)