Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ask the Expert: What Is Unschooling? Is this Method Right for You?-WINNER

Posted by   + Show Post

congratulations to mommyto2gr8ones, the winner of this contest and the book The Unschooling Handbook

Have you heard of unschooling? Are you curious to try it? Do you want to know if this method is right for your family? Is this method legal in your state?

CafeMom is pleased to welcome unschooling expert Mary Griffith to the group to answer YOUR questions. Mary Griffith is the author of "The Homeschooling Handbook: From Preschool to High School, A Parent's Guide" and "The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World As Your Child's Classroom," which together have sold more than 80,000 copies.  Her most recent homeschooling book is "Viral Learning: Reflections on the Homeschooling Life."

Ask your questions now and you could win a copy of "The Unschooling Handbook!"

Ask your questions in replies to this post. Mary will post her replies here as well. Mary will be in the group throughout the rest of August, so check back in as more questions come up!

Welcome, and thank you for joining us, Mary Griffith!

The Official Rules
To enter the this contest, reply to this post. Click on the 'reply to post' button at the top (or bottom) of that post. When the text box opens, add your reply. Once you've added your reply, click on the "Add Reply' button.

• Posts must be made between Wednesday, August 10 at 12 pm EST and Wednesday, August 31, at 5 pm EST.  
  • This contest will end on Wednesday, August 31, at 5 pm EST
  • One winner will be selected randomly.
  • The winner will be posted on this thread and will be notified via CafeMom PM.
  • Multiple replies are allowed and will increase  your chances of winning.
  • Prizes are only available to members who live in the US or Canada (excluding Quebec).
  • Prizes must be claimed within 10 days of notice of winning.
  • One winner will receive a copy of "The Unschooling Handbook" by Mary Griffith.
by on Aug. 10, 2011 at 12:13 PM
Replies (91-100):
Mary_Griffith
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Last chance!

Today's the last day of my "Ask the Expert" gig, so if you have any lingering or nagging questions you'd like to ask me, now is the time. 

I've had a great time--it's been fun discussing unschooling with all of you, and I hope it's been helpful to you. But I've got a few writing projects I need to get back to work on, so today is going to have to be my last day. 

(But I'll interpret that "last day" pretty loosely and will keep checking back for questions until midnight (PT) tonight, so if anybody asks a question really late tonight, you'll find a new response here in the morning.)

Thanks again for all the great discussion.

Mary

mommyto2gr8ones
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I don't know if you will see this but thank you Mary for taking the time out to answer all of our questions and help us understand this method of homeschooling!!!

Mary_Griffith
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 9:10 PM

You're welcome--it was fun.

Best of luck to you. 

I'll leave you with the tagline line I usually use when I'm asked to sign my books:

Enjoy the adventure!

Mary

Mary
marygriffith.net

Where we are, our learning likewise is.

Bevy445
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM
Hi, I have a 16 year old with NLD (non verbal learning disorder). I would like to homeschool him but I am clueless how, what, and so on
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Becky
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Bump for winner

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 9, 2011 at 11:28 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2011 at 2:05 PM

congrats!

mommyto2gr8ones
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Yay me!!!  LOL  I hope to wear it out.  :)

mommyto2gr8ones
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:39 PM

I just got my book!!  I'm looking forward to reading it!!!  Yay!!!!

Cafe Kate
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Yay!! Enjoy!

Quoting mommyto2gr8ones:

I just got my book!!  I'm looking forward to reading it!!!  Yay!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN