Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to the group and have a few questions

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 8:37 AM
  • 10 Replies

Last year we homeschooled for half the year after a horrible first semester.  We're homeschooling again this year since there is no way possible I'll let her go back to that school.... We're on a serious tight budget.  I saved up tons of extra cash for school stuff for this year...I plan on using a ton of free stuff...but my biggest question I guess is:

Has anyone just used workbooks that you can get from ...kinda anywhere???

I grabbed a all the Spectrum workbooks I could find for my daughter's grade (2nd) and picked up a few 3rd grade ones.  My mother-in-law who is a teacher and works at Sylvan gave her one to use last year for writing and my daughter loved it.  I just don't know if thats enough....like if it covers enough subject material in each. I've looked the books over multiple times and it goes over everything (and a little more) that she would be learning in 2nd grade in school.  I just don't want to overdo some subjects like I did last year...but I don't want to underdo them either.

I am requesting from the board of ed if I can use county materials for Science and Social Studies since those are really the only subjects the workbooks don't cover and I've yet to find any curriculum I like covering either subject...and those were the two subjects I really went overboard with last year in detail.  By the end of the year she was asking me about molecular fusion....and really I don't know how to answer that to someone my age let alone a first grader!!! Thats when I figured we may have gotten too detailed. 

Sorry... I started rambling....

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2011 at 9:58 AM

8) My daughter loves workbooks, too. I make my own curriculum and I use workbooks that I get from Target (keep an eye on the dollar bins, AWESOME teaching material in there) and Walmart. You could flip ahead in the books and find out what is coming up and gather supplemental material on that subject. Plan a craft or lab, get some books from the library and Youtube a few videos on it. You don't have to do everything in the workbook so when you think you've had enough, just skip forward. I like to save a page or two and then, every few weeks, have a review day or two where I send them back and we do those last pages. I think it help cement the information. 8) Good luck on your first whole year of homeschooling!!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 14, 2011 at 10:10 PM
I found a really awesome language arts workbook, I think by sylvan? It was at SAMs, imwanted it, butbrealized it would be pointless for *us* because the curriculum choices we are using already covers it.
I think whatever works for you and your child as well as your budget is perfect! I am always afraid I will leave something important out, but hadn't thought about possibly too in depth!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2011 at 8:39 AM

I will definitely look into that thanks :). We have the Spectrum one now...but its nice having a back up plan incase we need to go over stuff again so she's not getting bored.
My daughter got super into learning about space last year and she kept asking questions - not wanting to leave those questions unanswered I helped her find the answers but when it got to the point of her asking me about molecular fusion...I figured we may have gone a wee bit too far... (fortunately I have a friend that wanted to become an astronomer and took many of the required classes until midway through his degree he switched...so he was able to help answer a lot of things I couldn't! including giving me the idea of putting superglue on the ends of two tennis balls and throwing them at eachother and watching them stick - the two balls were molecules and the "fused" together)

Quoting Boobah:

I found a really awesome language arts workbook, I think by sylvan? It was at SAMs, imwanted it, butbrealized it would be pointless for *us* because the curriculum choices we are using already covers it.
I think whatever works for you and your child as well as your budget is perfect! I am always afraid I will leave something important out, but hadn't thought about possibly too in depth!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Thank you :)  I will definitely keep an eye out when we go there!  I didn't think about flipping through the books and saving some for review, I will definitely keep that in mind!!

Quoting mem82:

8) My daughter loves workbooks, too. I make my own curriculum and I use workbooks that I get from Target (keep an eye on the dollar bins, AWESOME teaching material in there) and Walmart. You could flip ahead in the books and find out what is coming up and gather supplemental material on that subject. Plan a craft or lab, get some books from the library and Youtube a few videos on it. You don't have to do everything in the workbook so when you think you've had enough, just skip forward. I like to save a page or two and then, every few weeks, have a review day or two where I send them back and we do those last pages. I think it help cement the information. 8) Good luck on your first whole year of homeschooling!!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 15, 2011 at 10:07 AM

the tennis ball idea is so cool!  So you put the glue on them, and throw them together and they stick, right?  What if you miss?  haha

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I thought it was an awewsome idea too lol.  It took us a few practice throws before figuring out how hard/soft to throw them. We missed a bunch but a put cardboard on the floor and covered up furniture so that if they did miss (and we missed alot lol) that none of our stuff would get ruined from the glue. After we spent almost an entire day doing that (it was a lot of fun lol) my dad suggested why not use one ball covered in velcro. ...it wouldn't be as permanent as glue, but that worked too.

Using the two balls is great for explaining the fusion between hydrogen to helium - hydrogen being one atom which consists of one molecule and helium being two molecules. Its the fusion that happens in the sun which is eventually how it came up. You've got two hydrogen atoms being hurled at each other and fuse into a new atom - helium which is composed of two molecules. I THINK I explained that right lol

Quoting Boobah:

the tennis ball idea is so cool!  So you put the glue on them, and throw them together and they stick, right?  What if you miss?  haha

oredeb
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 10:57 AM

not sure if anyone mentioned this but the library might have some science and history stuff to work with,

yes any kinda workbook will do, you could make up your own also and staple them together(done this for years)

online theres lots of stuff! will have to copy it though  http://oldfashionededucation.com/

has some good science and handwriting pages http://www.learningpage.com/

good geography stuff  do it online  http://www.yourchildlearns.com/owlmouse.htm

language arts  http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

nice unit studies  http://www.homeschoolshare.com/

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Thank you :) I will definitely look into these!

Quoting oredeb:

not sure if anyone mentioned this but the library might have some science and history stuff to work with,

yes any kinda workbook will do, you could make up your own also and staple them together(done this for years)

online theres lots of stuff! will have to copy it though  http://oldfashionededucation.com/

has some good science and handwriting pages http://www.learningpage.com/

good geography stuff  do it online  http://www.yourchildlearns.com/owlmouse.htm

language arts  http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

nice unit studies  http://www.homeschoolshare.com/

sweetserenit292
by Member on Aug. 16, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I don't know how the school textbooks are in your state. But.... when I taught in Virginia we hardly ever used the social studies books. Many times the material was outdated or inaccurate and the teachers had to get together to create a curriculum.  If you wanted an  idea of what the school was covering...I would either go online or request a copy from the school of the state objectives for each grade to see what the other kids are learning. 

Quote:

I am requesting from the board of ed if I can use county materials for Science and Social Studies since those are really the only subjects the workbooks don't cover and I've yet to find any curriculum I like covering either subject..

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I really just want the social studies book for the idea of how indepth it goes into each subject. I do have the objects that the county wants "mastered" and I will be going off that, but we went waaaaay too deep into certain topics laster year and I want to try and avoid that again.

Quoting sweetserenit292:

I don't know how the school textbooks are in your state. But.... when I taught in Virginia we hardly ever used the social studies books. Many times the material was outdated or inaccurate and the teachers had to get together to create a curriculum.  If you wanted an  idea of what the school was covering...I would either go online or request a copy from the school of the state objectives for each grade to see what the other kids are learning. 

Quote:

I am requesting from the board of ed if I can use county materials for Science and Social Studies since those are really the only subjects the workbooks don't cover and I've yet to find any curriculum I like covering either subject..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)