Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

does anyone here use sonlight curriculum?

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 5:27 PM
  • 6 Replies

It is one I am considering (sonlight) and am curious if anyone here uses it and what your feelings are about it.  I really like that it is 100% refund up to half the year even if it's been used but I'm wary just because I don't have a budget limit and think I may be spending too much.  I think my boys are young enough that they would like more of the classical type education rather than workbook-heavy work and that's the main reason I'm leaning towards Sonlight because there is a lot of reading involved.  feel free to share good or bad if you have any experience or know someone who has with Sonlight.

by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2011 at 6:33 PM
bump! I want to know too. ive looked into sonlight many times. I would love to use it. I can't remember if they let you split the payments up or not...another curriculum I'm considering is www.livingbookscurriculum.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scrapin_mom
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 6:55 PM

bump....I do not you use Sonlight but I did look at it a little when I was searching.. I went with My Father's World. Good luck. Hope you find what you are looking for.

oahoah
by Member on Aug. 14, 2011 at 10:23 PM

yes Sonlight does have a split payment plan where you can pay 20-25% (can't remember exactly) and then the rest in 3 monthly payments. I'm going to look into Living Books as well. I have also looked at My Father's World. Thanks for the bumps.

luvthesoap
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Using Sonlight was the biggest homeschool mistake we had. BERfore Sonlight my son LOVED to read. BUt sfter sonlight, he will only do required reading. IT completely killed the love of reading he had. THIs was a few years ago, and I'm still upset about it.

betty in KY

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 9:19 AM

I think that Sonlight has some amazing things going for it, but it is def not for everybody. That is why they provide a list of reasons why Sonlight IS NOT for you, and I suggest that anyone who is interested in their products should read that first.

We have used them for the past 3 years and had tremendous success. But, the success comes from knowing how to manage the materials to best fit your needs instead of letting it control you. What I mean is this. Their teacher's guide is huge and full to the brim with work to do for you and the child. BUT, you do not have to do it all, and Sonlight does not intend for you to do it all.

So, you have to ask yourself if paying that price is worth it for something you will have to "tweak" and refine and may not use all of the products you pay for. For me, the answer was no. And that is why we only used their history and language and bought them used from Ebay or Amazon or other sources.

Now, if you like the literature approach of Sonlight, then their are other curricula out there that are similar, cheaper and may not be as overwhelming. My Father's World is one. There are others but I am drawing a blank, sorry.

Good luck!

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2011 at 10:28 AM

If I was starting all over I would definitely do Sonlight.  I had already been educating at home for years and therefore had already purchased my texts that I needed. I did use their catalog as a reference and bought or borrowed (library) many of their books. I do use a literature based education and have the children read many , many books.  My children did not react as luvthesoap's children did.  Even though they read many books for school they still love reading on their own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)