Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Piog What grade do you say your child is in?

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 5:51 PM
  • 15 Replies
lets say you have a 7 year old who by public school standards should be in 2nd grade. They are reading at a5 th grade level, doing 3rd grade math and 3rd grade science. What grade do you say they are in? Or whatever scenario? (this is just hypothetical) do you skip them a grade (by public school standards) or still say they are in the grade they would be by age?
If anyone asks you or if you have to report it to the state.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
noraa21
by Member on Aug. 14, 2011 at 7:11 PM

My DS will be 10 and just starting 5th grade, so far we just go by what the state says we have to. 

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 14, 2011 at 7:18 PM

I usually answer that we don't use grades because we don't but if the person presses I will tell them what ever grade they wouldbe in based off of there ages. It is to complicated to explain that my kids are all over the place with what they know & the level of knowledge of it.

maggiemom2000
by Member on Aug. 14, 2011 at 7:32 PM

We go by what grade they would be in if they were in PS, according to their age.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2011 at 8:15 PM

I just say whatever grade they would be in, according to the school district. 8)

BusCaptainMama
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 8:24 PM
What they would be in based on age - usually they're really just wondering what their age is
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2011 at 9:14 PM
I say what grade she mostly works at. So most her subjects are 5th so that is her grade level.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 11:02 AM

i'd go by age and grade level if you have to report it or people are asking, doenst really matter what grade! just a number otherwise!

Precious333
by Julia on Aug. 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Damien is in Kindergarten and Gavin is in pre-K :) I don't know what level they are at, but we are going to be using classical comversations and they will be learning the same material as the older kids, just made fun for their ages :)

Mom2Kaylie
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I would go by age and that the grade public school would assign.  Its great that your children can work at their own pace but their level of work is not everyone's business and going around telling everyone about their higher work level is bragging in an annoying way.  Sorry, its not really about you but I just had a little girl over for a playdate who constantly rattled off how far ahead she was in everything from reading to monkey bar ability.  It was annoying to listen to her tell everyone how much better she thought she was than everyone else her age. She was alienating herself from the other kids in the group.  I stayed out of it and just observed.  Finally one kid told her, you know it doesn't really matter to us, everyone is good at different things and I'm tired of you talking about it.  I had to muffle a giggle.  I don't even tell my daughter what level she is working at.  She is just working at her level in every subject.  I tell her just to tell everyone the public school grade level for simplicity. 

AmyG1976
by Member on Aug. 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM

2ed.  :) I give the grade the ps system would have them in. my 8 yr old should be going into 3rd did most 3rd last year except math that she did 5th...  my 10 yr old should be 5th he does some 5th some 4th and spelling 3rd I say 5th grade.  I dont report anything to the state.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN