Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Piog What grade do you say your child is in?

Posted by   + Show Post
lets say you have a 7 year old who by public school standards should be in 2nd grade. They are reading at a5 th grade level, doing 3rd grade math and 3rd grade science. What grade do you say they are in? Or whatever scenario? (this is just hypothetical) do you skip them a grade (by public school standards) or still say they are in the grade they would be by age?
If anyone asks you or if you have to report it to the state.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 5:51 PM
Replies (11-15):
sew4fun
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I just say preschool since she is so young

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2011 at 7:28 PM
The question was just hypothetical :) I have a 3 year old. I was just curious how people do grade levels if there kids work is all over

Quoting Mom2Kaylie:

I would go by age and that the grade public school would assign.  Its great that your children can work at their own pace but their level of work is not everyone's business and going around telling everyone about their higher work level is bragging in an annoying way.  Sorry, its not really about you but I just had a little girl over for a playdate who constantly rattled off how far ahead she was in everything from reading to monkey bar ability.  It was annoying to listen to her tell everyone how much better she thought she was than everyone else her age. She was alienating herself from the other kids in the group.  I stayed out of it and just observed.  Finally one kid told her, you know it doesn't really matter to us, everyone is good at different things and I'm tired of you talking about it.  I had to muffle a giggle.  I don't even tell my daughter what level she is working at.  She is just working at her level in every subject.  I tell her just to tell everyone the public school grade level for simplicity. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaTasha1003
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 7:38 PM

I heard a homeschooling joke, forgot the guys name..

"What grade is my son in? Well let me see....Son how old are you?"    "9"...  "He's in 9th grade!"...

;-)

wright1212
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I always say PS standard. Because if you didnt know what the PS standard was, how would you know they are at a 5th grade level unless you had that basis of comparison. But according to PS it only matters what you test at not what you perform at, so that gets all messy too. I agree with OP it is crazy to try to say what level they perform everything at. My son, who is learning disabled/autism performs at a 2 yo level. Would I answer that my 9yo is in preschool --NO. That is just dumb. He is a 3rd grader, what he is working on (like OP said) is no one's business (meaning strangers). All my friends love to hear what he is working on, other ASD moms love to see how I homeschool him with all his various goals..but as far as age level who cares. Do what is best for each and say they are that grade.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

peanut06
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Oh, can I hug you!  This is exactly how we're planning to do it with our littles.  My cousin is a few years older than I, but a first-time mommy and was bragging about all her son's accomplishments "ahead of his age" (meaning, better than my kids) and whining about his delayed walking.  I just let her slide and explained that each kid will develop IN EACH AREA according to his or her ability.  Life's so much smoother now that I simply appreciate my own view only and not get into a whizzing contest.  After all, even if you know you could win by a downpour, is it really worth it if you're peeing on an electric fence!!

Quoting Mom2Kaylie:

[SNIP]  I had to muffle a giggle.  I don't even tell my daughter what level she is working at.  She is just working at her level in every subject.  I tell her just to tell everyone the public school grade level for simplicity. 

homeschool 

Happy momma and natural birth, homeschooling, and ERF advocate!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN