Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

DONT HAVE ANY IDEA ON HOW TO START??? NO CLUE~* =-/

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 10:20 PM
  • 10 Replies

I HAVE A 5 YR OLD BOY THAT WENT TO MONTESSORI SCHOOOL LAST YR, A 3 YR OLD GIRL(SHE DIDNT GO TO MS)AND A BABY ON THE WAY 36 WEEKS PRG NOW).

This year my husband wants me to home school and i want to. The prob is i have no idea how or where to start. The baby will be here in 4 weeks or less. After im taking a month to adjust to the new routine and then will try to start homeschooling.Will like to get as much info as possible now and start organizing before baby gets here. I live in Orlando, fl area.I was told i need to go to the district public school system online and fill a form and send the county over to let them know i will be homeschooling. After that i have NO IDEA how to start.

Any advice???? Plz help me here. I will keep doing some research but i need some light and guidance to start. It is soo confusing going online and doing research. Soo many websites and curriculum i go crazy!!!

Will love to use a christian curriculum.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Photobucket
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2011 at 10:38 PM
Curriculum depends on how you want to teach. There are so many different methods.
Personally I am going to homeschool using the charlotte mason method. I will use either amblesideonline.com, livingbookscurriculum.com, or another variation.
Right now my daughter is 3 and we do workbook pages when she wants or she will play computer games (either charlie churchmouse or jumpstart), today she did a bunch of mazes in her maze workbook and did writing practice on her leapfrog scribble and learn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peanut06
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Check the hslda.org website to see the laws for your state.  Most don't require notification until the child is at least 6 or 7 years old (so, maybe one less thing to worry about right now, right!).  Check out letteroftheweek.com for a free, easy curriculum that you could play around with for both of the older kiddos.  And, starfall.com and abcmouse.com for the 5 year old if he's into computer-based games for numbers and letters and if he's interested in reading yet.  Other than that, just hit the library for fun books (ask the librarian or check out a copy of The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease).  At this age, reading to them, playing, and following interests, very Montessori, works so well :)

oredeb
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 12:09 PM

welll you might not have to let them know your gona homeschool till next year, should check that out.  and this year, your sons only 5 so have some fun with him!, play, dance, sing, jump, memorize songs and poems , bible verse, you dont have to have any certain curr to teach him. use manipulatives you have around your house to teach counting and math, science stuff, go outside and look for bugs, dig in the dirt, nature hikes, lay on the ground and watch the sky things like that, do lots of arts and crafts, finger painting, coloring, cutting, pasting, etc have fun! and you can include all the kids!

heres the florida law  http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/FL/FL-Resource.asp

sew4fun
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I am still very much lost but yes it can all get very overwhelming. I know the ladies here will be able to help !

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Understanding the legal requirements for your State, different methods used to teach, and the personalities of you and your child is important.  However it is easier than you think if you connect with your State Home School Association.  Here are to websites that will help you.

Legal requirements for your State. (simply find your State, and click on it) When you connect with your State's Association, be sure to ask for local support group connections.  You will find them quite helpful and supportive.

How To Homeschool

malchusmom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Any other methods?? Thanks!!! Bump!

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:30 PM
First if all, RELAX! Don't allow stress or insecurity to rob you of the joy of homeschooling. Use these early years to train their hearts and attitudes. Teach them good manners, respect for others, obedience to authority, and a love for the Lord and his word! Homeschooling gives you the opportunity to build your child's character and confidence.
Don't necessarily tell them that it is "school time." Read to them often! Bless them by giving them a love of books. Read Bible stories, nursery rhymes, early educational books. If they show an interest in any particular subject, find books about it and read to them.
Teach them to begin writing letters and numbers with sidewalk chalk! Let them learn to write their name with finger paint. Learning can be sooo much fun, and they will also love that special "teacher" who is spending so much quality time with them. What is a favorite toy? Legos can be a great teaching tool for learning colors, counting, developing pattern, learning shapes, etc. Play treasure hunt and develop memory and counting/color skills. For example, "Find Mommy 1 thing that is round and red in your toy box and 2 things that are square and brown in the pantry." Oh, they'll love it! And don't forget to praise, praise, praise them! They need that affirmation to build them up and make them whole. (Don't we all?) At this young age, don't get too hung up on curriculum. If you want to add some workbook pages, inexpensive ones from Wal-Mart or the Dollar Store will work just fine. Just try not to overwhelm yourself or your children. Take this time to discover how they learn best, their "learning style." Read curriculum reviews to determine what will work best with your individual children. Cathy Duffy has excellent on-line reviews if practically every curriculum available. Practical Homeschooling magazine has a yearly review of their readers top choices. Don't worry! "Teach them, and they will learn." You can't mess up as long as your heart is in it. Homeschooling is one of the best life choices you will make. Persevere! It's so worth it!! (I hope I haven't rambled on too much. I'm just very passionate regarding homeschooling and encouraging other moms in this wonderful opportunity available to us.)

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 20, 2011 at 7:50 AM
We used the book the well trained mind as a guide, along with the curriculum guide from www.simplycharlottemason.com both of those also have forums on their sites that have been a blessing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 20, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Choosing a method will rely on your kids learning style - is he the type to learn by getting his hands wet, listening to facts or seeing them. Kindergarten is such a fun grade to teach. We did a lot of Lapbooking (still do) as they are hands on and you can do parts of them in as little as 20 minutes. HS only takes a couple of hours a day - when my oldest was in K I had a toddler, we did school for 20 minutes then took a 45 min play/eat/rest break. I started HS'in the kids at about 2.5 y/o. HAVE FUN so much of K is about laying the learning foundation for grade 1. Teach him how to make the alphabet shapes by smearing chocolate pudding on the table and let him trace the letters with his finger. Read lots of books, do fun experiments, count with M & M's (add and subtract at snack time), etc.

Don't get overwhelmed with designing  super fancy curriculum, at this age learning is about exploring and sparking an interest in learning.

You're gonna do great, breathe and relax. HUGS!!

wright1212
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:41 AM

OK I do agree at this age is mostly play based and just talk/show reading, letters, numbers while playing. But here are a few places to also try:

Baby you can read- you can now buy the entire set at walmart for about $60

LEAPFROG-need I saw more. Fridgephonics taught my kids letters by age 3, and with their cool writing pads, tag reader ect it just keeps going

http://www.lessonpathways.com/ is a FREE online curriculum with almost all hands on activities. I read through the weeks suggestions then kinda add my own so its more integrated with each subject.

youtube! I just type is something and poof instant good video. We studied the brain last week and watch Pinky and the Brain song on the part of the brain=awesome. also http://www.youtube.com/user/tontitofrito is how we are doing spanish

http://www.zerotothree.org/ has lots of good things on younger children that can be helpful.

Most of all remember the more wholesome play for all 3 kids, the better things will be. Think areas of a preschool are the same as areas of development. SOOO physical development from playing outside climbing riding swinging, fine motor from coloring and playdough, reasoning from puzzles sand and water play, social emotional skills from dressing up pretending, you learn to read by being read to ALOT.

Hope this helps.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN