Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is your weakness?

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 9:41 AM
  • 9 Replies
My weakness is that I am so much of a planner that I spend so much time trying to make everything perfect. We haven't even started school yet, and I've been working to get ready for it since April!

My other weakness is patience. I'm working on this one, and getting better. Our motto around here is "use gentle words in a gentle voice". It has helped because we have a gentle way of reminding each other not to yell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mom71307
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Um... I am slacking right now... I really need to get on the ball.  I haven't "planned" anything for this year but my oldest in just 4 so I don't really feel the need to have anything specific... we learn by playing more.  I am trying to focus more on numbers though since I can tell I have REALLY been bad with that.  Incorporating my 22 month old too...

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Patience is definitely mine.  When my daughter starts procrastinating I lose it entirely...have to walk out of the room to not blow up and not go back in until I've calmed down. Back talking and snotty behavior make me lose it too...I'm able to give a few reminders to knock it off nicely but by the third time....
My other weakness is planning big, and then falling short. I want to do these awesome projects with her, but she's either took too long doing the stuff she has to do before we can do them that we end up running out of time, or my hubby won't let me spend the few extra bucks to get the stuff to do it.  This year, no projects will be planned unless a miracle happens and we're ahead of schedule...then I'll insert a few fun days.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 16, 2011 at 9:54 AM
I'm also worried about having big plans and not being able to get them done. I am trying to start minimal to help with that, but we shall see!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaTasha1003
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 4:30 PM

patience! Its very hard to not get frustrated!! She wants to guess at things. She doesnt get the concept that learning is a process. Right now she either knows somethings or she doesnt. If she knows it - great, everything goes well. But if she is still learning something she just wants to give up. "I dont know" "its too hard"...

I also know she acts differently/ treats me differently than she would a teacher. With others she is pretty focused & is your typical student.. But with me, its NOT that way. :-( makes me doubt homeschooling.

Im still tweaking our schedule. I started with way too much-- Trying to do every subject every day! Next week I plan on only doing a few subjects a day, alternating days or something like that..

sew4fun
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:10 AM

I need to adapt that "gentle words in a gentle voice" moto! I have a weakness in the patience area too. The other would be I get overwhelmed. I have so many ideas in my head I want to do them all LOL

sew4fun
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Oh yes I stink at schedules ! So that is a weakness too

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:18 AM
Same with me and the ideas. I just want to do everything, and there isn't enough time in the day!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armygirl16
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:43 AM
I'm bad with schedules. I don't have to worry about a schedule so much since my daughter is 3 but I'll have to get more organized when she starts kindergarten
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misselphaba
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:54 AM

My weakness *was* planning.  I would plan and plan and plan and get everything just so.  And then it never panned out because the kids wanted more math, or more geography...or wanted to spend the day learning about penguins out of the blue.  LOL 

Now, I just have a general idea of what I'd like to get done during the year and hopefully we do it.  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN