Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Share on this subject: math

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 9:49 AM
  • 10 Replies
What math programs have you used, and for what grade/level?

What did you like or dislike about them?

What math do you use now?

Is the program more visual, in depth, spiral, etc?

Do you have any advice on choosing or using a math curriculum?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by debbie on Aug. 16, 2011 at 11:15 AM

for math when we first started i used manipulative so the kids can get the idea that things equal numbers(which is very important for them http://homemade-school.blogspot.com/), then we went to rod and staff workbooks till 3rd grade and then on to saxon math(which i love)

the rod and staff was great for us, it used manipulatives also to help with math practice, not to much math and not to little math problems on the pages. it explained what it wanted the kids to do,  it was visual, in depth not sure what spiral is??

saxon explained every thing so good for me to be able to teach the kids! i use it different ways not just doing work in the book,  but we do work on the chalkboard, on large pieces of paper(kids love that!) we make it into games, we do every othe problems, we take a problem and use m and ms on it etc. we can make it hands on, or just visual

you can make any math program fit what you need, just use it in different ways, you dont have to stick with just doing it in a book! boring!hahaha take a book and make it fun!!

sew4fun
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I really do not have a curriculum I just have her count and add everything. Sorry I am no help

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM

We use Math u See. It is mastery with review in each lesson.

PROS

I like how there are 6 pages and a test for each lesson. The kids do as much or as little as they need to to show me they have a concept down. Sometimes they can ace it in one page and move on. Other times we need all 6. Lol

I also like that the lessons are on DVD. Especially as the math is getting harder. I can watch it with the kids and go, "ok NOW I remember how to do that!", so I can help them.

There is also the teachers manual that explains it but I have only had to go to that once when the DVD was NOT clicking for my oldest (prealgebra)

CONS

It is very light in telling time and in using money. These are easily supplemented though.

They teach adding with decimals and using money in word problems but they don't teach what a penny looks like, what a dime looks like. So I keep a bucket of change on hand to bring out when the kids have word problems. I also got a "Time and Money" workbook for DD to do.

Telling time thy teach the analog clock but only in about one lesson per level and they don't do it with an actual clock - just the markings on a blank circle.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

Melissa6705
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 12:41 PM
We use abeka math. Kind of boring but ok
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cedailey
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I use MEP (Mathematics Enhancement Programme).  It's a british program that you can download for free, complete with lesson plans.  It's challenging and thourough.  It teaches kids how math works,encourages mental math, logic and problem solving.  There is a very good support group on Yahoo.  I do have to change pounds and pence to dollars and cents, not a big deal.  And the lesson plans are written for a class but it's pretty easy to adapt for one kid.  I would call it a mastery program, but the case could be made to call it spiral.

noraa21
by Member on Aug. 16, 2011 at 11:21 PM

we are going to be using Systematic math, don't know much about it as I just ordered it today.  It is suppose to teach kids the whys of how to do math, not just how and memorize it.  Supposedly it is the way they taught back in the 1930's and 1940's, we got the book for 5th grade and then in 6th we can start the DVD program.   

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:36 AM
I just ordered ALEks math for my 8th grader. I want him to do another year of Pre-algebra and multiplication/division review before we push on.

I ordered teaching textbooks for DS2 to try something different with him. I may also try a jumpstart math for "fun" practice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:41 AM

We haven't bought an actual Math curriculum, yet, but I think that I will try Teaching Text books with my oldest, soon.

CafeMom Tickers

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Oredeb, thank you for the suggestions on how to use Saxon.  I am not much for doing exactly what is in the text either, and want to make it fun.  :)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:40 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)