Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If you don't use a handwriting curriculum...

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 9:53 AM
  • 9 Replies
What do you do for handwriting practice? I'm considering going to copy work after we finish handwriting without tears, but I'm wondering how I improve her writing without instruction.

For example, HWOT tells you how to form each letter descriptively as well as with arrows. So if you don't use a program, do you just allow them to copy the work, then look over it to see what letters need help, and focus on those with your own instruction?

I have noticed her handwriting has improved with hwot, but it seems so... Preschool, kwim? I may go back to it for cursive though because I have no idea how to explain how to form those letters! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oredeb
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 11:01 AM

how to improve handwriting!!! practice!!!!!!!! everyday!!!! but make it fun!

i dont use any books, i make up my own copy books using verses, people sayings, parts of stories, poems, families names,  etc. using the free online startwrite thingy. i choose 1 font and stick with it for cursive and printing.

also donna young has or use to have a nice handwriting font that i use to make the copy books with.

i also buy a big abc chart (with the same font i use) and the kids can look at that when they need to. but at first i sit with them and show them how to form the letters, we sit there and print or do cursive together, till they get the hang of it. I noticed one thing that helped my kids was to do air writing. they seem to get the idea and put it on paper better.

TheHighLife
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I write things relatent to what we're doing (math problems, vocabulary words, etc.) in pencil and have him trace them. I give him some room to do it his "own way" - but if he draws a letter a really wonky way that I think will interfere with his penmanship then I just let him know "Down, then around, then across. Like this." 

Mom2Kaylie
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I don't do handwriting practice and never did even when first learning letters because its boring and may discourage her from wanting to write.  The other day she wrote a sign for her door and hung it up.  Then later tried to read it to me but she wrote a few letters  "really wonky"  and had a hard time reading it to me.  She was now frustrated with her writing.  She asked why my writing was so much better than hers.  I told her I practiced my writing a lot for many years.  She told me "I think I should start practicing writing some more" and she went to get her diary.  Not sure how the diary writing is going.  I see her writing in it but she only shares the occassional page with me.  I have watched her writing improve over time.

misselphaba
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM

We don't do any handwriting practice or anything like that.  They just write.  My son's writing has gotten neater over time.

mrspriceisright
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 7:03 PM

We used HWOT to writing and copywork for continued practice.  Once they've learned the letter formation, all it takes is exactly what you said, going over their writing and checking for anything that needs correction.  That's all a classroom teacher does (I was one so I know!)  ;-)

After learning basic writing, we just did copywork until we wanted to introduce cursive.  Once we finish cursive and I know she's got it, we'll go back to just copywork.

Copywork is a wonderful thing for reasons other than pensmenship as well.  It's great exposure to literature, verses, or review of facts in other subjects such as definitions. 

wright1212
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Boo how old is yours? We, like OP, just write with our regular lessons in an integrated curriculum. So we are making a family tree write now and she is writing each name out. She first does it on dry erase sentence plates (dollar tree), then on paper with pencil. We also made a community helpers book and she wrote a sentence on each one, again practiced on dry erase first. I also got handwriting paper from dollar tree and journal paper from walmart with the box at top for pic. On her dry erase plates I also write the correct spelling under hers so she can see differences. I will try to post the community helper project to my Vlog this weekend so you can see if you want.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:19 PM
That would be great, thnk you. She is 6. She does well writing and reading, bit I would like to improve her penmanship I think it is called. Basically just the neatness of her writing. There were q couple letters so far that she had learned how to write at school, and we needed to change it up so it would be nicer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:01 AM

We've never done a separate handwriting curric. The kids have to write out their spelling lists each week, with index cards and sentences. Those along with their other work is enough for me. If they get messy or write a letter backward or something then they erase it and fix it. Repetition is the key. They also do journaling.

mynameismuerte
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:24 AM
DS is 5 and his handwriting is pretty bad. Each morning I give him a tracer page with Capital letter and a tracer page with lower case letters. He enjoys those and I consider it his "warm up." He seems to write better if I start that way & hopefully in a couple of months he won't need the warm up anymore.

He's had a lot of issues with muscle weakness so I always break his pencils in half so he has better control.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN