Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What learning charts/posters ( or anything else) should I have out at all times?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:07 AM
  • 14 Replies

She will be in preschool. I am going to be painting,cleaning and moving over the next few weeks and will have a designated schooling area . I want to go ahead and make or get everything I will need so I can have it up. What kind of things should I have on display ? And yes I am really that clueless LOL

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:30 AM
I keep a world map and a US map up all the time. If we run across a country or state they aren't famiiar with we look it up. We use it when we read books, see something on tv etc.

If we see "out of state" liscense plates we write them down and they find the states on the U.S. map.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:52 AM

For her age, I would get a good calendar set.

The ABC's and a number line.

Her entire name wrote out.

Maybe a bulletin board with a monthly theme?

If you are religious, The Lord's Prayer.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:10 AM
I agree with this, especially the calendar, abc's, and I do a weather one also so they can say if it is rainy, etc. Now we have added a weather chart, to track how many days in the month are rainy/sunny,etc.

Quoting mem82:

For her age, I would get a good calendar set.

The ABC's and a number line.

Her entire name wrote out.

Maybe a bulletin board with a monthly theme?

If you are religious, The Lord's Prayer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM

i always had abc poster up, colors, maps of united states and a world map,

calender poster, days of the week poster, a poster that showed our handwriting style, animal pictures all over , plant pictures, the planets, stars we had lots of walls!

wright1212
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Calendars are great for that age. I got a cute magnetic calendar at walmart for $9. You could incorporate things from csefel.vanderbilt.edu. They have a cute feelings chart since at that age emotional/social growth is key to good behavior. To stay organized designate a display area for her work. I am thinking of hanging a string with clothes pins for their art. You could also make a funky word wall. Put up the letters and things you find that start with letters add to it (this could be a book instead) and simple site words. Target sells shower curtain world maps!

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

padavali
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I have always had a calander up, weather station, and a reward wall.  For posters, depends on what we were working on, colors, numbers, animals, maps, vowels, sight words etc.  

timon95
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM

i would get an interactive calendar, one where you need to change it each month, it has the days weather, today is...tomorrow is...etc. colors, shapes, numbers, abc's, vowel sounds. clock. i bought all of my posters off of the scholastic web site. we also have a beehive and the kids would put a number bee on it for each day of school. used to celebrate the 100th day of sschool (bought that at staples). we have some windows in our classroom so i also used abc and number window clings and window clings of the solar system.

timon95
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:11 PM

oh yea, i also have a wall designated as the word wall. they are "popcorn" words...words that pop up a lot in stories. i printed them out on yellow paper in the shape of popcorn.

Quoting timon95:

i would get an interactive calendar, one where you need to change it each month, it has the days weather, today is...tomorrow is...etc. colors, shapes, numbers, abc's, vowel sounds. clock. i bought all of my posters off of the scholastic web site. we also have a beehive and the kids would put a number bee on it for each day of school. used to celebrate the 100th day of sschool (bought that at staples). we have some windows in our classroom so i also used abc and number window clings and window clings of the solar system.

blessed2bmomof1
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 12:46 AM

In addition to all of the wonderful suggestions already made, I'd like to suggest a reward chart, with stickers. My daughter LOVED that when she was that age until the last year or so (she's almost 10). She got to place a sticker on the chart at the end of every "school" day. I think it helps to keep them motivated, it makes it fun for them, and of course children love to hear praise for a job well done.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 20, 2011 at 8:55 AM

For pre-k I just put up colors, punctuation marks, the alphabet, as well as numbers 1-50 with words. And a schedule. Oh and I had a world map up and a felt monkey we named 'Mike', Mike the Monkey would travel all over the world and my son had to pack his luggage appropriately for the trip (climate) and plan the travel itinerary. http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/2010/04/mike-monkey-world-geography.html

That's about it if I remember correctly. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)