Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New here...hello

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:58 AM
  • 10 Replies

My name is Terri, I have been homeschooling for 4 years...going on 5th.  I have 2 children.  Grace is 8 and Noah is 5.  I have been using a very "school like" approach, but would like to change to a more unschool approach.  I live in NY so I have strict guidlines to follow, but I really would like to be more relaxed and still have smart kids.  Anyone else from NY or an unschool family?  Thanks!

Terri busy momLoving What I Do!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Welcome Terri :)   My name is Brenda, I am 49 and I live in AR (Part-time in OK too).  My husband and I have 15 (all home educated) children ages 31 down to 13.  I am down to just 1 in school now as all the others have graduted now.  We also have 25 (going on 27) grandbabies ages 11 down to  "coming soon".  Many of them are educated at home also.   Good to meet you.

armygirl16
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:38 AM
Hello! I'm elizabeth, I'm sort of new to homeschooling, my daughter is 3 but I've known I was going to homeschool since before I was even pregnant with her. I'm from oregon, currently live in uvalde tx and am moving to ann arbor mi I'm a week and a half. I'm a traveling surgical tech :) I plan on homeschooling all the way through high school. I'm not familiar with ny laws sorry!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:18 AM

I just wanted to say WELCOME! This is our 5th year as well. I have a 6th adn 9th grader this year. And I know what it is like to try and duplicate public school at home, we made that mistake in the beginning too. Once you have been a part of the ps system it is hard to de-program your brain, LOL!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:19 AM
Hi and welcome! We school using the Charlotte mason method which incorporates living books, nature, and short lessons (among other things!) and a little bit of classical education.
My oldest is 6 and youngest is 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Hello! I am in Ohio and have 3 soon to be 4 children.

If you are looking for a good blog/info about unschooling in NY. Check out Home Spun Juggling blog. It's not mine but she is a great unschooler from NY and she also does homeschool comics. Good, funny, educational site.

oredeb
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:47 AM

welcome terri!!! theres a good thread on here about unschooling at the beginning! good reading very helpful

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Here is an article that explains the different methods used by homeschoolers.  Itt should be able to help you start creating your own curriculum:

How To Home School

Cafe Kate
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Welcome to the group! We actually have a guest expert in the group right now whose focus is unschooling. You might find this post interesting. 

Gumberly
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM
Hi Terri,
Welcome to the group and good luck on your change.
GraceNoahsmom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Thanks Everyone!  I have never been on a group that has been so friendly and welcoming!  Thanks for all the tips and info!

Terri busy momLoving what I Do!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN