Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Share on this subject: history

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:11 AM
  • 18 Replies
What do you use for history?

What order do you use? (what time period/age)

What do you like or dislike about your current history program?

Did you try anything before this? Why did you change?

Tips for choosing a history curriculum/making one?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:13 AM
We are using story of the world - ancients.

I have the book, teacher manual/activity guide, and test book but won't be using the tests until 5th grade.

I also have the cd, which I think will be fun to listen to someone read it with a different voice/animation occasionally. It will also give me a break from reading since most of our curriculum is centered around living books.

I am going by the recommended ages from the book the well trained mind, which also coincides with the Charlotte mason method well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:53 AM

i like to go through it chronologically using living books and unit studies and a timeline,

in our co op class the kids are using mystery of history, its fun! i like the way its written and the crafts are fun, and they make this big timeline!! so neat!

Danielle163
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:15 PM

We are using SOTW Volume 2--The Middle Ages. We are also doing Sonlight core for Am. History. And then I also go through Rupp's book and gather book titles  to supplement for both. DD is starting her third grade year in two weeks.

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:20 AM

We have SOTW Middle Ages.  We read that sometimes and we read the books from the suggested reading list from History Odyssey. We have the activity guide, but we don't really do the questions.  They get what they get from it.  We do some activities from the activity guide and some from "The Days of Knights and Damsels".  If they don't want to do it, though, we don't. 

My daughter has requested doing "school", so I guess we'll be working on some more stuff. 

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:21 AM

I use Kingfisher History Encyclopedia for the younger kids and Streams of Civilization I and II for 8th grade up.  I have a very long list of books to read that go along with each chapter and time period. The books are biographies, non-fiction, and historical fiction.  I go chronologically.  I have used this method for apx. 11 yrs or so and really enjoy it.  Before doing it this way I just used regular textbooks without any extra readings.

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:38 AM

We gave Alpha Omega a try a few years ago and hated it. It was such a bad experience that it made me never want to try them again.

We have used Sonlight for the past 2 years with great success. My youngest is still using it this year for Middle Ages. And my oldest is using Winter Promise "Quest for the Middle Ages." We loved SOTW so much that I bought Susan Wise Bauer's textbook "The History of the Medievil World." It is a great resource as well.

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:45 AM

We are studying the Constitution and its history.  Here are several free lesson plan ideas:

Teaching Children How To Do Research (with elections coming up, it is a great time to involve your child in the research making lessons pertinent to real life)

Understanding the Welfare Clasue (Resource: Old and new dictionaries)

The Constitution and Slavery (Resource: Justice Joseph Story)

More can be found here: (Educators Resources)

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:01 PM

We use a unit study called Learning Adventures.  It started with Creation and then we went through Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, and Ancient Rome.  Unit Four is The Middle Ages.  I love that it's all integrated and that our literature and other activities that are all tied in together.

We tried to follow what another friend of mine was using when we first started, but it really didn't work for us.  This is an awesome curriculum, and we can all work together for much of the day.

What is important to you?  Choosing a Bible based curriculum was important to us.  Once you choose a curriculum, if you don't stick with it, you will have to make sure that you cover any gaps left by a switch.  There are so many different curriculums, and they are arranged in many different ways!

cedailey
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM

We use Ambleside Online, which is chronological history of western civ, emphasis on British roots for the younger years.  My 1st grader is doing An Island Story from prehistory to 1000 AD, while the 2nd grader is using the same book picking up at William the Conqueror, plus Hillyer's Child's History of the World.  We used to do SOTW, but I didn't care for the writing style, it just didn't keep anyone's attention.

Big high point, all the books I got free or cheap. Low point, as with some other older stuf I have the choice of editing on the fly, or explaining some outdated terminology, especially with regards to racial information.

Eco_Momma
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 5:28 PM

What do you use for history?  Living History events and museums

What order do you use? (what time period/age)  We are starting at the beginning, The Goddess was lonely and created The God as Her Mate..... but that's in story form. We have started with local history in the 1800's.

What do you like or dislike about your current history program? Since my kids are 3 & 4, we love everything! I'm a HUGE history geek and so are my siblings, we are creating a curriculum for the kids ( coloring books, stories, food recipes and such) based on our periods ( Me, American History, Youngest sister Medieval Europe , other sister Greek and Roman mythology) ( and don't worry, we re-wrote our HS history curriculum in school b/c it was bias. lol)

Did you try anything before this? Why did you change? haven't tried anything else, they are still young

Tips for choosing a history curriculum/making one? do NOT teach what is being taught in public schools, 90% of it is lies told by the "winners".  If you want to learn about XXX GO THERE. Williamsburg VA, Plymoth MASS., Civil & Rev War battles durning the summer, Pow Wows. Don't TEACH it, LIVE it. That's the ONLY way to learn history and remember it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)