Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Share on this subject: history

Posted by   + Show Post
What do you use for history?

What order do you use? (what time period/age)

What do you like or dislike about your current history program?

Did you try anything before this? Why did you change?

Tips for choosing a history curriculum/making one?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Replies (11-18):
Eco_Momma
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 5:31 PM

lol that's the one my sisters and I re-wrote.  I sent mine back to them corrected and they failed me but my local college loved it. =)

Quoting swim-mom72:

We gave Alpha Omega a try a few years ago and hated it. It was such a bad experience that it made me never want to try them again.

We have used Sonlight for the past 2 years with great success. My youngest is still using it this year for Middle Ages. And my oldest is using Winter Promise "Quest for the Middle Ages." We loved SOTW so much that I bought Susan Wise Bauer's textbook "The History of the Medievil World." It is a great resource as well.

noraa21
by Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Quoting TigerofMu:

We use a unit study called Learning Adventures.  It started with Creation and then we went through Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, and Ancient Rome.  Unit Four is The Middle Ages.  I love that it's all integrated and that our literature and other activities that are all tied in together.

We tried to follow what another friend of mine was using when we first started, but it really didn't work for us.  This is an awesome curriculum, and we can all work together for much of the day.

What is important to you?  Choosing a Bible based curriculum was important to us.  Once you choose a curriculum, if you don't stick with it, you will have to make sure that you cover any gaps left by a switch.  There are so many different curriculums, and they are arranged in many different ways!

I was thinking of going with this one too. 

-Eilish-
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Story of the World is what we'll be using too.

Quoting Boobah:

We are using story of the world - ancients.

I have the book, teacher manual/activity guide, and test book but won't be using the tests until 5th grade.

I also have the cd, which I think will be fun to listen to someone read it with a different voice/animation occasionally. It will also give me a break from reading since most of our curriculum is centered around living books.

I am going by the recommended ages from the book the well trained mind, which also coincides with the Charlotte mason method well.

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Quoting Eco_Momma:

lol that's the one my sisters and I re-wrote.  I sent mine back to them corrected and they failed me but my local college loved it. =)

Quoting swim-mom72:

We gave Alpha Omega a try a few years ago and hated it. It was such a bad experience that it made me never want to try them again.

We have used Sonlight for the past 2 years with great success. My youngest is still using it this year for Middle Ages. And my oldest is using Winter Promise "Quest for the Middle Ages." We loved SOTW so much that I bought Susan Wise Bauer's textbook "The History of the Medievil World." It is a great resource as well.

WOW! really? too funny. yeah, and it is sad that they are a pretty popular company among homeschoolers.

Gumberly
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:31 PM

What do you use for history? History odyssey: Ancient Level

What order do you use? (what time period/age) Starting in Ancient time and moving forward

What do you like or dislike about your current history program?
I like using the guide because it has a extensive list of reading and incorporates SOTW and A child's history of the world. I also like that I can adjust it as needed.  I  can expand on topics as desired and set my own pace.

Did you try anything before this? Why did you change? Nope this is the first history curriculum I used.

Tips for choosing a history curriculum/making one?I think it is very important to use a curriculum that is based in fact not altered for agendas. I view history as a very important subject and treat it as such.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:39 AM
I have heard good things about the history odyssey. I didn't know it went along with sotw! I will have to keep that in mind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Judge Napolitano has a series of videos on the "History of American Freedom".  It is awesome, and here is a link in which I have compiled all of the videos (all for free):

The History Of American Freedom by Judge Napolitano

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2011 at 11:46 AM

We absolutely love it, and they have new supplements for K-3 as well.  They have completed those for the first 3 units, and they are working on more.  We have found that it generally takes us longer to go through a unit than the projected time, because we love the projects, and expanding and digging into each subject!  

Quoting noraa21:

Quoting TigerofMu:

We use a unit study called Learning Adventures.  It started with Creation and then we went through Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, and Ancient Rome.  Unit Four is The Middle Ages.  I love that it's all integrated and that our literature and other activities that are all tied in together.

We tried to follow what another friend of mine was using when we first started, but it really didn't work for us.  This is an awesome curriculum, and we can all work together for much of the day.

What is important to you?  Choosing a Bible based curriculum was important to us.  Once you choose a curriculum, if you don't stick with it, you will have to make sure that you cover any gaps left by a switch.  There are so many different curriculums, and they are arranged in many different ways!

I was thinking of going with this one too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)