Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Trying to meet exH's requests

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM
  • 12 Replies

I've convinced my exhusband that it would be a good idea to homeschool our two kids. He has 50% legal custody so I can't pull our son out of public school without his consent. ExH's terms are that I need to buy a complete curriculum (he's paying for most or all of it), it cannot be faith based materials, no or limited internet neccessary, and I have to be able to keep very detailed records. Our son is 4 and has already done almost 2 years of preschool (special services, he's autistic). He's at K or 1 grade level for almost everything but at a preK level for some things like social interactions and attending. I can't find anything that seems to fit the bill but maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM
I think there is a website called secularhomeschooling.com that should help find a curric that isn't religious. I was going to suggest buying k12.com curriculum but I don't know how much of it is online. It looks like good materials though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TwoSugars
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:31 AM

im looking at the oak meadows curriculum for kindergarten and sent him the info on it. anyone have experience with oak meadows?

FlyHippie
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I'd have him look WITH you. Decided curriculum together. If you find something you like, then email a link to him or whatever.

From what I can tell, with the dads, it seems a bit scary and a "leap of faith" for mom to teach everything. I can see it. Keep him involved and in the loop and it might make things a bit easier?

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Here is a bump for you. I am not much help as we use faith based stuff

TwoSugars
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:39 PM

he's done kinda freaking out about it now that he's had a chance to see that there is a curriculum and schedule (neccessary for autistic kiddos) he's much more open to the idea. he really isnt involved that much, the kids see him 2-4 times a month so he would actually be more in the loop with homeschooling than public school. All PS does is send him a copy of the IEP and the twice a year conference info. I'm going to see if he would be willing to do some sort of PE class with the kids since he use to be an MMA fighter and boxer. i think he'd really like that.

Mom71307
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Try the assessment for curriculum on www.homeedexpert.com... you can add that he has learning troubles, etc and it is based on what everyone wants to see and what everyone's learning/teaching styles are.  They might give you a jumping off spot for what to look into more.

Eco_Momma
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Oak Meadow!! they are Waldorf based and should work great for you!

Eco_Momma
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 5:18 PM

lol sorry, I didn't read before I replied.

We are starting Oak Meadow for out kids Ages 3 & 4 this fall.

http://www.lessonplans4teachers.com/templates.php?__utma=1.430496279.1313113233.1313113233.1313113233.1&__utmb=1.1.10.1313113619&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1313113233.1.1.utmcsr=%28direct%29|utmccn=%28direct%29|utmcmd=%28none%29&__utmv=-&__utmk=59786413

that link is for lesson plans that you and EXH can do together. =)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I don't have a lot of advice but my DH was the same way about having a "curriculum" when we started. He needed to know the kids would stay on grade level if we ever went back to PS for whatever reason.

So I compromised- I found a charter school that is VERY flexible. I can choose anything I want as long as it's not religous based or we could take the standard "boxed set" that they use in the local public school. They have really worked with me and I have customised everything for each child but DH think we are getting the "boxed set". Shhhhh! LOL Well, he knows I've subed the math...but not everything else.

It does meet his requirement that they stay on grade level and have tracking for the future.

It sounds like you have a curriculum that will work for you Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN