Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Trying to meet exH's requests

Posted by   + Show Post

I've convinced my exhusband that it would be a good idea to homeschool our two kids. He has 50% legal custody so I can't pull our son out of public school without his consent. ExH's terms are that I need to buy a complete curriculum (he's paying for most or all of it), it cannot be faith based materials, no or limited internet neccessary, and I have to be able to keep very detailed records. Our son is 4 and has already done almost 2 years of preschool (special services, he's autistic). He's at K or 1 grade level for almost everything but at a preK level for some things like social interactions and attending. I can't find anything that seems to fit the bill but maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM
Replies (11-12):
Brandysmom1107
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:12 AM
With a child on the spectrum any curriculum you use will most likely needed to be adapted. Also you will need to schedule in gross and fine motor skills, self help time,calming time,allow for breaks about every 10 minutes or so and also speech therapy. Do you use ABA,Rdi,or floortime?
romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:23 PM

There are several options open to you in the homeschool venue that are not available in the Public Schools.

About 45% of children do very well with the "school in a box"  curriculum (Conventional method).  However some children struggle with it.  This may especially be the case with your son, and you may need to look for unique curriculum or create your own.

However there are organizations that provide State accepted testing that you can use to prove to your husband your children are learning.  Here is an article that explains the different methosds available to the home educator, and a few of the companies that will will provide you testing materials. 

How To Home School

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)