Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If you have used Saxon Math, could you help me with a quick question?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:03 PM
  • 12 Replies

I'm doing Saxon Math 1 with my dd who is 6.  I'm looking through the lessons to see where we need to start, because the beginning is too basic, and I don't want to waste all that time on the 40 lessons she already knows when we could do just a *little* review, and then start with new stuff.

Anyhow, I am noticing that the lessons all refer back to other lessons, and it seems like it is going to be hard to start anywhere but the beginning.  Has anyone tried to start mid-book using Saxon?

Also, there are math tests (or at least that is what it looks like) where it is just a sheet of addition problems.  I can't find any instructions for this, like if she should just know these facts, or if she can use manipulatives.  

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle163
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:38 PM

We used Saxon Math 2 for homeschooling last year (DD used S. math 1 @ p.s B/F being removed). Saxon is spiral, keeps coming back, reviews it again. If your DD "knows" the first 40 lessons, I'm sure you could probably just jump in somewhere around that point....you stated that you don't want to waste the time.  Those are the "fact sheets". You are suppose to time them, but I rarely did.  I'd say thats totally up to you. The IG didn't say anything about using manipulative's on the fact sheets, not that I saw. Possibly I missed it.(?)

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:25 AM

I would just give her the tests however she feels most comfortable.  If she's not ready to do it with memorizing the facts, then let her use the manipulatives.  No reason to start her off with getting worried about it, you know?  That's my take anyway. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:20 AM
Well, I went and let her practice on one of the fact sheets and she knew them! So now I guess we will keep looking until we find something she doesn't know, then go back a few lessons.

Thank you girls :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Good info so far. Yes, Saxon is spiral. But I have to add, that review is a good thing. It is great she knows so much, but do not downplay review. Review is helpful at any age : )

We did not have success with Saxon. Math should not bring a student, or a parent LOL, to tears. So, we use Math U See and Teaching Textbooks now with no tears.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I have considered MUS, but I purchased this quite some time ago, so we're going to see how it goes before deciding to switch.  What level MUS are you in?  After Saxon 1 I'm thinking we should be MUS Beta, but I'll have to do the placement test if we decide to switch.

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Quoting Boobah:

I have considered MUS, but I purchased this quite some time ago, so we're going to see how it goes before deciding to switch.  What level MUS are you in?  After Saxon 1 I'm thinking we should be MUS Beta, but I'll have to do the placement test if we decide to switch.

Oh for sure, you should use what you already have. That is our story with Saxon. It is what my guys were using in a private classical school. And then we got transferred after the first 2 semesters. So, we contined to use it at home while I started home schooling them.

Then the next year and a half they went to public school in our new state. Then they were back home with me to finish up 3rd and 6th grade using the public schools books. Then for my older son, for 7th grade, he used Teaching Textbooks for Alg 1, while my younger son did MUS Gamma for 4th grade. The next year my older son switched over to MUS doing Alg 1 again. He made a 96 using Teaching Textbooks, so obviously he did not struggle with it, but we needed a curriculum that would take him farther than Teaching Textbooks could. So, since review is always a good thing : ) and given the fact that it was a different curriculum, we had him do Alg 1 again(and he made a 96 again).  My younger son went on to do MUS Delta for 5th and is doing their Epsilon this year, in combination with Teaching Textbooks Math 6. And my older son is taking MUS Alg 2. And both are excelling and all is good.....so far : )

Sorry, I did not mean to go on and on. But, our story is pretty much all over the place and full of twists and turns. But, I have learned a great deal during our roller-coaster ride and enjoy sharring it with others. So, if you have any specific questions, ask away!

LostTheSlipper
Cool. Customization!
Yesterday at 4:20 PM
by Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 6:15 PM

We are using Saxon 7/6 for my 4th grader. He knows half of what's in the book but it's alllllll over the place, so I just started at the beginning and if he has to review it he has to review it. To minimize the work he has to handwrite we do a bunch on the board and most of that is review and it verifies to me that he knows this important stuff. I'd love to have just done what he doesn't already know but there are bits and pieces here and that he doesn't know (partially due to me making a curriculum and partially due to using various sources for what to know when and nobody agreeing on this kind of thing) so it was just easier to go with the whole thing.

Danielle163
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Quoting swim-mom72:

Good info so far. Yes, Saxon is spiral. But I have to add, that review is a good thing. It is great she knows so much, but do not downplay review. Review is helpful at any age : )

We did not have success with Saxon. Math should not bring a student, or a parent LOL, to tears. So, we use Math U See and Teaching Textbooks now with no tears.

Yeah, I have to agree with swim-mom about review being good. We switched this year to TT and Singapore (I couldn't decide which one).  Saxon worked well with DD. I wanted to go more towards computer-tutor type stuff for math (DD learns really well from computer) so I thought we would go sooner than later.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:49 PM
After looking at the lessons, it seems so boring. Lol. Every workbook page looks almost the same. Laid out the same, just with a little bit diffent of a problem. Did anyone end up having trouble with that?

Also, does it ever suggest using the manipulatives, or do you just do it as you see fit? I've glanced through the first 54 lessons and haven't seen it mention anything yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danielle163
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Yes, we used the manipulatives in 2nd grade. I'm sure eventually you will. DD never seem to mind that all the pages looked the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)