Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If you have used Saxon Math, could you help me with a quick question?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm doing Saxon Math 1 with my dd who is 6.  I'm looking through the lessons to see where we need to start, because the beginning is too basic, and I don't want to waste all that time on the 40 lessons she already knows when we could do just a *little* review, and then start with new stuff.

Anyhow, I am noticing that the lessons all refer back to other lessons, and it seems like it is going to be hard to start anywhere but the beginning.  Has anyone tried to start mid-book using Saxon?

Also, there are math tests (or at least that is what it looks like) where it is just a sheet of addition problems.  I can't find any instructions for this, like if she should just know these facts, or if she can use manipulatives.  

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:03 PM
Replies (11-12):
swim-mom72
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Quoting Boobah:

After looking at the lessons, it seems so boring. Lol. Every workbook page looks almost the same. Laid out the same, just with a little bit diffent of a problem. Did anyone end up having trouble with that?

Also, does it ever suggest using the manipulatives, or do you just do it as you see fit? I've glanced through the first 54 lessons and haven't seen it mention anything yet.

Some kids learn better without all the distractions of colorful pages and cute graphics. My slightly ADHD child would get too overwhelmed by a page full of colors and graphics. So, boring pages work well for him : ) But, that is why MUS and Teaching Textbooks are a good blend, since they have the computer aspect for the visuals.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:27 PM
Does it prompt you to use them? You know, now that I think about it, I do remember a page mentioning linking cubes!

Quoting Danielle163:

Yes, we used the manipulatives in 2nd grade. I'm sure eventually you will. DD never seem to mind that all the pages looked the same.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)