Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Share on this subject: science

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:26 AM
  • 17 Replies
Do you use a curriculum for science?

If yes, which one and what do you like/dislike about it?

If no, what do you use for science?

What science topics are you teaching this year, and how old is your child?

Any advice on how to implement science or choose a curriculum?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Science:  ABeka plus Self Teaching Guides for Astronomy, Chemistry and Physics (in  high school)  I also use Eyewitness books on Chemistry, Physics, etc..       

I have used this for several yrs now.  I am down to just one child to school as all the others have now graduated. The one still in school is 13.

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:26 AM

My youngest used Apologia's Astronomy with the notebooking journal for 4th grade. The book was great and we both really enjoyed it, but the journal was a bit too much for him at that age. Now they have Junior Journals that are more suitable for the younger kids. That same year my oldest was in 7th and used Apologia's General science with great success.

Last year, for 5th and 8th grades I combined them using Real Science 4 Kids. We used all 3 of their level 1 textbooks: Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. Along with the lab books and language connects books. It was a great year of science! We all loved it.

Now this year, it is back to Apologia. They are so thourough and complete that I feel the most confident having the kids use them at these levels. My oldest is doing Chemistry(his choice) and my youngest is using the Anatomy & Physiology book. And my oldest is sitting in on 5 of the chapters with younger brother for his Health credit.

Another science curriculum that I have had my hands on and really looked at is Bob Jones. I like those as well, but I felt that you needed the DVDs to make it complete, and that made it too pricey for me.

What are you using or interested in Boobah?

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:27 AM
We just read books about whatever the kids want to learn about. Then, we find experiments to do. We do 't really have anything set in stone, but I do have Elemental Science and R.E.A.L Odyssey (I think that's what it is) for them. We do those when they want to.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:29 AM
I'm posting these to help newbies (and myself since I am a newbie). :)

We are using outdoor secrets for science, with hours in the out of doors for nature study. The third term I will put my own together for the human body because we should be done with outdoor secrets by then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:44 AM

i make unit studies for what the kids wannt to study(9,10, 12, 14,14,), and this year we are also going to go through the apologia general science for the older kids, it looks pretty good, but i know we will do indept studies on some of the things in it! we love going off on trails!

in the previous years we've used

the astronomy, zoology books by apologia, they were great for my  ages

the younger kids loved to listen to us read about the subject, the kids loved doing the experiments of course we took bits and pieces and did our own studies

how i implement science is to ask the kids what they want to learn about and then make up unit studies for those subjects and we all do them together, we keep a notebook and a drawing book of what we do.

another one we like a lot is'considering gods creation' i still use parts of it in our unit studies, and its one of those that all ages can learn from.

cedailey
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Two days a week we do child led nature study.  Two days a week we do labs from REAL Science Odyssey (Life Science this year).  I love the hands on nature of RSO, as well as how it tackles even complex ideas in ways that are reasonable for early elementary.

TwoSugars
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 6:06 PM

once a week ill be taking my kiddos to the childrens science center for their tots class, they're just prek level though so ill have to do something else later on

-Eilish-
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM

My kids are in Kindergarten and we use the classical education model which doesn't put a great deal of emphasis on subjects other than reading, writing, and arithmatic during the K years (in fact the old model of classical education, you didn't start school until first grade). But our states require that we teach these other subjects so we combine our social studies and science into a block called "Kinderculture." Example: we use weekly themes, one week will focus on hordicutlure (gardening) for science, and then the different sorts of hordiculture there are (community gardens, farms, personal gardens, etc) for social studies. We compliement the weekly themes with field trips - this one was to the nature center, botanical gardens, etc.

Beginning next year, we will be adding science as an actual subject. We will be using this curriculum which takes the "spin" out of science. It doesn't teach Darwinism, Intelligent Design, or Creation, just the hard science, and we will introduce these theories later as they progress into the logic and rhetoric phases on the classical education model.

noraa21
by Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:37 PM

We will be using an online program called super charged science, that way DS can feel like he is in a class once in a while and not have to listen to mom try to explain something she has no idea what she is talking about! 

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:02 PM
This year we picked up a random fifth grade text book and workbook. I am looking for good ideas for sixth grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)