Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

High school girl and scheduling? **newbie**

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 4:52 PM
  • 3 Replies

so my daughter is a junior and this is our first year doing HMS. I have the whole curriculum and everything! but we have only been getting done 2 subjects a day and thats not okay. it seems like she spends all day doing the same subject yet only getting one of the sections in her booklet done. Shes very smart and excelles in school. i know its only the first week but its not going do great.

can anyone tell me what  your schedule is and tell me what woks about it?

tips would be most appriciated too(:

thanks so much in advance!!

by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Mine is in 4th grade, so I'm not up there yet, but my suggestion would be, tell her she's old enough to get Thing 1, 2, 3, etc (whatever needs to be done that day) done during the day. If she can't do that you're going to have to start treating her like she's in elementary and being there for each subject and having set times for it so you are sure it gets done. If she has special things planned - doesn't get it all done, well, guess she doesn't get to go to that event, or do that with her friends, etc.

Maybe easier said than done, but she's halfway into high school, it's a good time now to learn how to manage one's work if she can't already, because assuming she's interested, college is just around the corner.

oredeb
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 6:15 PM

we usually spend only about 45 per subject , maybe she needs a schedule ?

start at 9 with math for 45 min.

then 945 with language arts

then 1030 history

1115- science

etc???

what curr. are you using? does she want to be homeschooled??

school should only take anywhere from 3-5 hours a day depending on how much work each day

carolkey74
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:08 AM
Tme management is such an important skill. We can teach them all the facts in the world, but if they can't follow a schedule, they will never get a job. I have a freshman who sounds very much like yours. She would read or do art projects all day long if I would let her. This year, we implemented a timed schedule. She has five 50 minute classes per day. I have even set a "school bell" alarm on my iPad that goes off every 50 minutes. If she doesn't finish by the end of the period, it gets carried over for "homework". It has worked wonders! She is finishing everything on time, and she really seems to enjoy the structure. My 5th grade son enjoys it, as well. We follow this schedule four days a week, and then we relax it a little on Fridays. On Friday, she goes to art class, so the rest of the day is dedicated to review, test prep, etc. Hope this helps!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN