Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Share on this subject: spelling

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:03 AM
  • 8 Replies
Do you use a program for spelling?

What did you use and what did you like/dislike about it?

What grade did you use it for?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:04 AM
We are getting ready to use all about spelling level one. It looks really fun, I hope it works out! My dd is 6/first grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RheaF
by Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:05 AM

BUMP!!

My DD is in first grade and I am looking for a new spelling program, preferably free. We are using Abeka right now, but she is bored with the words and it is just not challenging to her.

Danielle163
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:24 AM

We are using Sequential Spelling this year for the first time (and its the first time we've used a set curriculum for S.)Everything is in patterns (bet, let, set, sunset, upset, wet, jet, pot, spot, lot, allot, etc). DD has always learned spelling that way best so I thought we would try it. I have no known dislikes yet (we don't start until 8/29), but I think I will really like it because the sheet is already made out for me AND on the back of the spelling sheet for that day is a spot where the child has to look up the meaning in the dictionary(never more than 4-5) and then they have to use the word in a sentence.  And then on some days they have to use a spelling word and fill in the blank in a sentence, some days there are unscramble activities, on other days there are the letter puzzles that the child searches for the spelling word and then circles it. DD is starting third grade.

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:43 AM

My oldest son was in public school/private school until 6th grade. And now he does not do a spelling program, just vocab. With my youngest I have used Abeka, Queens, and now BJU. He use to struggle with this subject and Abeka was really no help. Queens was great for a real Charlotte Mason appraoch. And good for a year of letting him take it a bit slower with shorter lists. This year we are using BJU for the first time. I LOVE IT! I wish I would have been using it all along. It is solid. There are a few days worth of activities that use the words, even geography words, jouranl prompts and so on. But, the teacher's manual is essential for the success of this program I believe.

Oh, and the best part is that I got the set off ebay for $12.

mynameismuerte
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:55 AM
We are using All About Spelling Level One (DS is 5 - 1st grade).

What I like: it's really a spelling program based on phonics. So many spelling programs are nothing more than lists to memorize and that's not what I wanted.

I also like that it utilizes so many different learning styles. So far (only been using it a week, lol) I don't have any dislikes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:41 AM
This is why we got it as well. Good luck! We will be doing it starting next week!

Quoting mynameismuerte:

We are using All About Spelling Level One (DS is 5 - 1st grade).

What I like: it's really a spelling program based on phonics. So many spelling programs are nothing more than lists to memorize and that's not what I wanted.

I also like that it utilizes so many different learning styles. So far (only been using it a week, lol) I don't have any dislikes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scrapin_mom
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 3:44 PM

All About Spelling - well I have ordered it. It should show up any day. I can't wait to try is out.

misselphaba
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 4:46 PM

We don't.  He just reads.  If he needs to know how to spell a word, he'll ask.  He's a pretty good speller!  At least he's more ahead of the game than most people.  He knows the difference between your/you're and to/too/two, and their/there/they're...lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)