Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is it okay if? (PIOG)

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:01 AM
  • 13 Replies

My neighbor asked me ...whether sarcastically or seriously... I couldn't descern from her tone over a text... I would be able to homeschool her daughter so they can get her out of the school she's in now (which is the only private school around and she refuses to send her daughter to public school). Her daughter and my daughter are in the same grade, so I personally wouldn't have much trouble...
I looked over the homeschooling laws I could find and saw nothing about this particular situation either way. I'm not a certified teacher or anything either...so I dunno... Has anyone else done this/is doing this/has heard of it??

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle163
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I've often wondered if this is legal. I would think you would have to be a certified teacher to hs other people's child(ren). I'm interested in hearing what everyone says too.

oredeb
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:14 AM

ive been doing it for years,  im not certified teacher, i have 5 kids that arent mine im teaching right now!

Danielle163
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Does it vary from state to state oredeb?

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I was wondering if it varied from state to state too. I'm in WV. I haven't seen anything for or against it yet. This is what I've found (for WV anyway):

Alternative Statutes Allowing for Home Schools:

A group of parents may form a private, parochial, church, religious or "other nonpublic school" under WV Code §18-8-1(k). The school must comply with the requirements of WV Code 18-28-1, et seq.

Teacher Qualifications:

Option 1

: Instruction must be by a person who, in the judgment of the county superintendent and county board, is qualified to give instruction in subjects required to be taught in public elementary schools;

Option 2:

Person(s) providing home instruction must have high school diploma or equivalent under "notice" option.

lakissakay
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I know a mom who homeschools four kids that are not hers. It's legal in Iowa for sure.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:21 PM
I wondered this as well. While I don't need anything more to take on, I would love to hs my nephew. He is in a bad district, and has nothing but negative influences, including his parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maridel
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:07 PM

In Florida you are supposed to be a certified teacher to do that. My mother in law recently moved in with us along with her 7 year old grandson (my hubbys nephew). They want me to homeschool him but I said not right now, my DD is just starting Kindergarten and I want to be able to focus on her, plus I have my 2 year old and I babysit a 3 year old and 2 year old. My hands are full. Plus he and my DD argue all day and I just can't handle it!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:12 PM

thanks everyone :) I'm still going to keep digging just in case. I'm trying to not have to call the board of ed up because the lady in charge of the homeschooling dept is a ...well...a bee with an itch, and I don't want either myself or my neighbor having to deal with her as much as possible.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:18 PM
In CA it would not matter for homeschooling. However, it falls under childcare laws. As long as it is only one family you are ok. If you were to take more than one you would need a day care liscense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyto2gr8ones
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Call your local dept. of non education???  Our HS laws here in NC say that we can teach one other child in our homeschool that isn't directly related to us but that is here in NC.  I don't know where you are located but I would def. be making a phone call just to be on the safe side.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN