Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My neighbor asked me ...whether sarcastically or seriously... I couldn't descern from her tone over a text... I would be able to homeschool her daughter so they can get her out of the school she's in now (which is the only private school around and she refuses to send her daughter to public school). Her daughter and my daughter are in the same grade, so I personally wouldn't have much trouble...
I looked over the homeschooling laws I could find and saw nothing about this particular situation either way. I'm not a certified teacher or anything either...so I dunno... Has anyone else done this/is doing this/has heard of it??

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:01 AM
Replies (11-13):
fygfitness_mom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Here in Arizona it would fall under tutoring which you do not need to be certified to do. I know with the virtual school my girls go to that I could appoint someone else as their learning coach and it would be totally legal. A friend of mine is the director for the new AZVA hybrid learning center started with eight kids in a dance studio and she now has a full time job with the actual school. My kid sister is pregnant and maintains that I will be teaching her child. I just laugh because that is a ways off but then I remember that teaching starts from day one. :-)

blessed2bmomof1
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:40 PM

This is something that will definitely vary by the state laws. Here in my home state for instance, only the parent can hs their own children.

But there are other states where this is not an issue.

I don't know if you've looked there or if someone else has already suggested it, but the homeschool legal defense association would be a good source to go to for information, especially since this is a legal issue. Better safe than sorry.

http://www.hslda.org/

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:57 AM

It depends on your State laws.  There are two places you could ask.  They Are:

Home School Legal Defense Association 

Your State Home School Association

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)