Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Foreign Languages

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:22 AM
  • 37 Replies

What foreign languages are you doing with your kids?

What curriculum are you using?

How much did you spend on the curriculum?

by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
akrsmomma
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:27 AM

My daughter is currently learning Japanese. We live in Japan and hired a tutor who comes to our home every Tuesday. We pay 1500 yen a session ($20). If we ever get stationed overseas again we'll do the same where ever we were to move to. When we move back to the states we'll start spanish. I think we'll use Rosetta Stone, but I dunno. I really like having a tutor. 

clowncar
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:27 AM
I found what looks like a cool program on ebay fore only $10. Search for Foreign Language Success For Kids Learn Spanish, French.
The software also includes german and italian.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wright1212
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:35 AM

We are studying spanish. She is 1st grade so we are starting with simple nouns for now. I use this youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/tontitofrito. It is awesome! We have done colors and numbers so far. Its so easy. We watch a video 2x then just talk about it throughout the day. We try to do it 3x a week.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:51 AM

We're doing German. We went out and bought a few different programs for on teh computer and after testing them out...I didn't like them. My daughter for w/e reason doesn't hear the pronuciation correctly at all on the computer so ends up saying the words incorrectly every time. All  "r" ending words she'll say "ah". I still have my German 1 book from college and I figured we'd use that since the "workbook" is on a disc which I've got too. We won't do everything in the book since she's clearly not ready (shes 2nd grade) for some of the stuff in it, but in general I'll follow the book. A lot of the posters I'm making for her for the year will also be written in German as well as English and we've started making labels for things around the house that we'll eventually hang up and whenever we walk past one, we say the word.

CoSaWy
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM
My children are learning Spanish through Rosetta stone. Also since we live in Mexico the background helps.
FlyHippie
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:34 AM

We do Spanish....which I speak but my husband does not. I don't have a curriculum, but I have the teacher that used to be the local High school spanish teacher...and twice a week, he goes to her to get "Spanish" lessons...and we try to speak it at home but I don't do it too much...(hence; the lessons)

He'll be starting Spanish 2 this year...and hopefully the Dec. of Spanish 3 will be spent in Costa Rica in a Spanish immersion place.

On the teacher, I spend $100 a month? (not totally remembering if it's 100 or 150 a month, but I think 100)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 20, 2011 at 12:04 PM
I've still yet to decide if we are doing a foreign language this year. I'm going to see how our first couple weeks go to see if we can add anything. I'm a little nervous :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoffeeMama1081
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 3:31 PM

We are starting a little bit of Spanish this year.  We are using books from the library, and our library also has a free language software program called Mango languages.  It is free to anyone with a library card and we can use it online from home.  So far we have not spent any money at all.  :-)

Earthy_Mom
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Currently, I am teaching sign and Spanish. I teach it by using it, no curriculum. I hope to expand into Italian (as DS is half Italian), some French and Latin, maybe a little of the others that I speak as well, and some ancient/dead languages.

lvaughn26
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 3:38 PM
I'm teaching my 3yr old French. I studied it for 5 years and right now we are just covering the basics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN