Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Cool book for teens re: history...

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM
  • 1 Replies

I still read to my son...he's 13. He's an excellent reader, but for some things, I read TO him so we can discuss it along the way.

So, we started reading "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynne

It's about Quanah Parker and the rise and fall of the Comanches, the most powerful indian tribe in American History.

Now, granted, he's diggin' it partly because I love me some Quanah Parker and he's grown up with me talking about him when we'd drive through Quahah, TX...or Nocona TX (named after Quanah's dad) or to Lubbock or Amarillo (where I'm from) which is where the Plains Indians WERE....

So he has a pretty good grasp of location, etc.

HOWEVER; he is LOVING learning about how things were then. How the Indians fought and why, etc. (Quanah Parker is not only "famous" for being the last, greatest Comanche chief...but his mom was kidnapped when she was 9 and raised with the Comanches...and so Quanah was half white...which was unheard of for a chief to have a white mom)

It's really interesting. It's vivid...so I wouldn't go too much under teen...but even if you guys are interested in something like that...this book was a finalist for a pulitzer prize...it's super good...

Just thought I'd share!!!!! (now that I sound like a complete American Indian freak...sigh)

by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Danielle163
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Hey thanks chick....I will put that into my "books to buy" notebook. Sounds like a cool read.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)