Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Silly question from a newbie

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 1:23 AM
  • 8 Replies

I'm homeschooling my kindergartner this year and I'm trying to figure out exactly what I need to teach her. So my question is how do you know what they should be learning?

by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 1:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
FlyHippie
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 2:03 AM

There's a book "what your kindergartener needs to know" I think...they have one for every year, I believe.

Besides that, letters, numbers, reading, adding and subtracting, etc. you know what they need to know! Just do things one step at a time... it's all good...

Danielle163
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Yeah, like flyhippie said...the E.D. Hirsch books What Your______ Needs to Know (start at K. I think). You could get Rebecca Rupp's book Home Learning Year by Year--How to Design a HomeschoolCurriculum from Preschool Through High School. What a great book, packed with information, book lists, tips, guidelines as to what you should teach & when. Or you could buzz over to like Calvert.com. They have a scope & sequence to let you know what to teach/when.  The world book (online) has one, pbs kids has one.  If your secular homeschoolers, Rupp's book would be very helpful. Good luck. (The Well-Trained Mind is good also)

Danielle163
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 8:43 AM
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2011 at 9:21 AM

There are no stupid questions. 8)

My state's Department of Education has a list on it's website that is helpful.

Good luck on your first year!

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2011 at 12:20 AM

For K all you need to do is continue what you are probably already doing.  Read to your child a lot, color , do puzzles, play educational games, etc.. That is honestly all you need to do. Just have fun!!

wright1212
by on Aug. 22, 2011 at 7:08 AM

I personally go to my states website and dwl the state standards. They are very general but still a guide in each subject. Since my state has mandated testing every few years I want to make sure I kinda covered the content so Im not setting her up for failure. But I teach it in a totally different way.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 22, 2011 at 8:12 AM
Another good guide by grade that I love is the book the well trained mind by Susan wise Bauer and Jessie wise. My library had a few copies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Good question.

It depends on your State Laws, your childs learning style and the method of teaching you decide to use.  Here is an article that well help you with all three of these things.  You know your child better than anybody.

How To Homeschool

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)