Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Letteroftheweek.com compared to abcjesuslovesme.com

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 1:14 PM
  • 8 Replies
im trying to decide which I'd like to use for chelsey who is almost 2 1/2 years old. Ive been looking at both, and lotw seems easier to follow/more laid out for you, but the themes seem better for abc. Anyone used either with success?

If you used abcjlm what toddler bible did you use? I have a catholic book of bible stories I was going to use, but does it make a difference?
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sew4fun
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Oh I am not sure I just learned about abcjlm a little while ago. I am interested to see what others have to say .

fallnangel93
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I have never used abcjlm, but I have used lotw for all three of my daughters, and I have even changed up the themes slightly. I like lotw because I could move stuff around according to my kids and what they needed more help with...I don't know, maybe because I never looked at abcjlm, but I do like lotw and will probably use it some with my 3 year old this year.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 21, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I used LOTW when the kids were that age, and I supplemented with lapbooking with unit studies based on what the kids expressed interest in learning.

mrspriceisright
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I've never heard of abcjlm, but I used LOTW with my daughter for a year.  It was great fun and made it nice and easy.  I liked how she integrated things.  We did that when she was 3.  Then when she was 4, we switched up and did Before Five in a Row.

I just peeked over at abcjlm.  It's very nice as well.  Very similar.  In fact, in many ways, it is much more complete, and of course, has the Bible built right in.

Personally, I think I would pick elements of both and make my own!  I like the poster aspect of LOTW for instance.  The fact that ABCJLM has a book for the week makes it much more like FIAR.  It doesn't really look like you could go wrong with either!

MommaTasha1003
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 10:16 PM

IMO any good Bible that your child enjoys will do fine. I like the kids bibles that break down the days of creation so it is very easy for them to catch onto (on the first day God created, 2nd day).. She has one bible that pretty much sums up God made everything & it was good!

I would use abcjlm -- For ONLY the bible curriculum... and then use LOTW.com for everything else..

I use ABCJLM with my 4yo. just for the bible curriculum & anything else that was bible based. I didnt want to have to get online every week so I typed it all out myself on word.

Here is a copy/paste of week 1 (if you interested i can email it to you. but there are some typos in it! LOL) ... I also printed out the Verse Cards to use weekly (left hand column on ABCJLM is a lot of great extra to look through).. If you wanted something simple & fast, print out the verse cards & on the back write the story that goes along with it & anything else you would like.

Story

Creation 1-3 (Gen 1)

Scripture

Gen 1

Verse

Gen 1:1 In the beginning, God created the heavens & earth

Song

This is the day

Comprehension

Which day did God create: Day/Night, sky/water. What is your favorite activity to do in the day/night/ in the water. God created everything. God gave us day & night. Why do we need night time? God created sky & water. Why is water important to us?

Activity

From ABCJLM: print out Gensis coloring pages.. Coffee Filter Earth (green/blue washable marker+squirt bottle, black sheet of construction paper) - Later add to project animal/plants...

Read: Who made the world? FUN: Play "put the fire out"

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 22, 2011 at 8:06 AM
Tasha, could you tell me what you liked better about lotw instead of abcjlm? Or what you didn't like about abcjlm. Lol

I am also going to be using the faith and life series with my dd who is 6, first grade. So I'm not sure if I could incorporate my two year old into it or not. I just ordered that last night so I don't have it to look at.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaTasha1003
by on Aug. 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I liked all the ideas that is listed for each letter. I never used either ABCJLM or LOTW religously. Just used them for ideas here & there..

If you really like ABCJLM do that & use LOTW as a filler for ideas.. Who knows!? They are both really good. :) ....

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM
You know, it just dawned on me when you replied that *duh* I don't have to use all the curriculum all the time. Haha I'm still getting used to this whole make it how you need it thing. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)