Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Share on this subject: art

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 7:31 AM
  • 23 Replies
What grade/age is your child?

Do you use a program for art?

What do you like/dislike about how you currently do art?

Do you tech art, or do more play/experimenting?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 7:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 23, 2011 at 7:33 AM
We are using drawing with children by Mona Brooks. It is hard to get started, it seems so overwhelming! I found a site that had lesson plans on it, which is nice, so we will see how it goes! My daughter is 6 and I am afraid she is going to be too hard on herself during some of the lessons (she is a bit of a perfectionist).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 8:59 AM

My guys are 14 & 11. So we have used various things over the years, some were great and others were not. My oldest has quite a bit going on this year, so no formal art for him. Although, his history currriculum includes learning calligraphy and doing some illuminated lettering. And my younest has always been the more artistic one, so I always try and provide things to promote that instinct: water colors, pastels, tracing paper, clay, whittling supplies, and plenty of traditional art supplies. His art curriculum this year is called Creativity Express. It is a computer program I bought from Timberdoodle.

FlyHippie
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 9:17 AM

For my 13 year old, he's taking art through Texas Tech.

For the almost 2 year old, we fingerpaint and color, etc. We did chalk on black paper yesterday, and fingerpaint with strings! LOL!

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Quoting FlyHippie:

For the almost 2 year old, we fingerpaint and color, etc. We did chalk on black paper yesterday, and fingerpaint with strings! LOL!

Painting with marbles and straws is fun too!

Yuriko_chan
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 11:05 AM
How do you finger paint with marbles and strings?

Quoting swim-mom72:

Quoting FlyHippie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Quoting Yuriko_chan:

How do you finger paint with marbles and strings?

Quoting swim-mom72:

Quoting FlyHippie:

Not finger painting, just painting. I use an aluminum pan and put the construction paper or art paper on the bottom. The kids use small bowls and put various colors of paint in them. Then drop in one marble for every color. Then put marble in the pan to make your creation! And for the straws we water down the paint and then place some on the paper inside the pan. With the straw they "blow paint" their creation.

carolkey74
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 12:53 PM
My daughter is in 9th grade, and she goes to art lessons once a week. We are fortunate to live close to a friend who has an art degree, so I take Laura to her house for 2 hours every Friday. They do everything from drawing to sculpture. She also gives her daily assignments, so I will be able to give her a full credit on her hs transcript.
misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 6:28 PM

My kids are 8 and 5.  We have Meet the Masters.  We also LOVE these books ~ http://www.amazon.com/Picasso-Getting-Worlds-Greatest-Artists/dp/0516422715/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314138324&sr=8-1 .  And we are using Confessions of a Homeschooler's Getting to Know printouts (free, yay!). 

Then we look at a lot of art on Google. 

mrspriceisright
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 6:45 PM

We currently do not use an art curriculum or classes.  My daughter is 6, and we are doing grade 2.5.  We are finishing up some 2nd grade things and going on into some 3rd grade stuff.

I'm really big on subject integration, so here are just a few expamples of how I've done art in the past year or so.

• Studying Egypt, China, etc.  Went to the museum and looked at actual Egyptian and Chinese art.  She can spot a Chinese dragon a mile away!
  • Library doing an activity on Jackson Pollack.  She still brings me pictures that are similar in form to Pollack's and says, "Here.  I made a Jackson Pollack for you!"
  • Anatomy.  Read and studied some on Leonardo DaVinci.  She thinks it's cool when she sees the Vetruvian Man different places.
  • She was doing a study on lions, so we had a "How-to-draw" book and practiced drawing lions.
  • Of course, there is always the holiday arts and crafts stuff to do, too.

Well, there's a few.

I think the biggest challenge in how I do art right now is making sure I find ways to bring art into the subjects and then doing it.  It's actually easy to come up with all kinds of ideas.  It's harder to make yourself do them!

I would like to eventually get her some more art for art-sake and basics exposure and practice.  I don't think it's going to happen this year.

mrspriceisright
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I know I've seen those books at the library and those printouts look great!  Homeschooling for free ROCKS! 

Quoting misselphaba:

My kids are 8 and 5.  We have Meet the Masters.  We also LOVE these books ~ http://www.amazon.com/Picasso-Getting-Worlds-Greatest-Artists/dp/0516422715/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314138324&sr=8-1 .  And we are using Confessions of a Homeschooler's Getting to Know printouts (free, yay!). 

Then we look at a lot of art on Google. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)