Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Dawdling, procrastinating... Just not doing what needs to be done in a timely fashion!

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 7:41 AM
  • 3 Replies
My daughter is 6, and this is our first year homeschooling. I'm kind of worried because she is the type to dawdle all the time, about everything. It takes her forever to get dressed, brush her teeth and make the bed. She gets distracted easily.

For example, she goes to use the bathroom or brush her teeth. Next thing you know it has been 10 minutes and she hasn't even started because she is now playing with soap bubbles, or making faces at herself in the mirror.

Yesterday I decided to focus in on this habit of doing her morning chores. So I stayed right with her, as a reminder to keep going until they are done. She would still get distracted and tell me about something unrelated. I kept telling her to pretend I am not here, I'm just here to see how you. Do your chores and help you focus.

How do I get her to focus? The times we have done work over the summer, she gets so distracted by what her younger sister is doing, which is what happened in public school. I'd get calls saying she takes forever to do her work, because she is too interested in everything around her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 7:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
wright1212
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I have a 6yo just like that, we often wonder if she ADD like my husband and son, but she can focus in on some things. I like to think she has a great imagination and full of wonder. I found do task in very small sections helps. So say cleaning her room. She goes and picks up 5 things then come tells me, then I have her help me do something real quick, then back for like 5 more things in her room. Breaking what seems daunting up helps her alot. I also pay her a quarter for every chore I ask her (so not her room). So picking up living room, making beds, sorting laundry ect. She has about $6 currently. But some money goes to church jar, and some to savings jar. She also loves to make her own list (she gets that from me) so she keeps herself on better task. Now all of this happens with me constantly reminding her what she is to be doing.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Would a timer work? Maybe make a little, jazzy chart with a picture of the task and a number representing how long it should take to do it. Have her set the timer and see if she can beat it. If she does, maybe a reward or sticker? Some kids really like the challenge of beating their 'best' times, also. 8) Good luck!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM
That's a fantastic idea! She would love setting her own timer and competing with herself. I'm going to try that!

Quoting mem82:

Would a timer work? Maybe make a little, jazzy chart with a picture of the task and a number representing how long it should take to do it. Have her set the timer and see if she can beat it. If she does, maybe a reward or sticker? Some kids really like the challenge of beating their 'best' times, also. 8) Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)