Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Home economics

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 12:49 PM
  • 7 Replies
Hey everybody! This is my first time posting. I need some advice on how to develop a home economics curriculum for my 9th grade daughter. She already crochets, and of course she has her daily household chores, but I'm wondering if I should try to something more structured with her. There's part of me that thinks it's silly to buy a textbook to teach my daughter to take care of a home and family, but I want to make sure that I can list home ec as an elective on her transcript. What do y'all think?

Thanks bunches!

by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Hmmm, It does seem silly to buy a text book for Home Ec.  If I were you, I would go to Fly Lady. com and get her house cleaning schedule and tips. Then I would go to Dave Ramsey's website and print out his budget sheets and tips. I would put together something from that. She'd learn how to clean a house, quickly and efficiently, write and keep a budget and maybe you could throw some meal planning and shopping on top of it all and call it good. Home Ec in high school only lasts a semester so it's not like you need something that has to go on for a year. Have fun!

armygirl16
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 9:50 PM
good question. I agree with pp about dave ramseys budget worksheets and such.
I think for my daughter I'll have her take a sewing class at joannes or sewing shop, along with regular "teaching how to run a household" type lessons.
Can she cook well?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 24, 2011 at 7:54 AM
I agree with the other two ladies. Maybe ask her what she is interested in, and teach her more about it. Gardening, cooking, cleaning, sewing, knitting, cake decorating, etc. Things you do at home, but not everyone knows how to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carolkey74
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:13 AM
Quoting armygirl16:

I think for my daughter I'll have her take a sewing class at joannes or sewing shop, along with regular "teaching how to run a household" type lessons.
Can she cook well?

She can cook the basics (eggs, biscuits, pop tarts lol!). I think I'll have her cook a portion of one meal a few times per week, and then give her a "final" where she will cook an entire meal.

I love the idea of sewing lessons!
armygirl16
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 1:49 PM
Yeah have her study a cookbook maybe a little. Or cooking why you mix dry ingredients and wet separate, sifting, have her make different difficulties of foods (bread, creative pancakes, stir fry, stuffed french toast, dips etc)
Sewing or knitting classes...etc

Quoting carolkey74:

Quoting armygirl16:

Can she cook well?

She can cook the basics (eggs, biscuits, pop tarts lol!). I think I'll have her cook a portion of one meal a few times per week, and then give her a "final" where she will cook an entire meal.

I love the idea of sewing lessons!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sew4fun
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I agree with everything posted. I did alot of home ec stuff in school here are some of my favorite things that would be easy to incoporate at home.

If you do a menu plan let her help you with that.

take her to the store with you and give her a list and a set amount of money and have her shop for those items ( you are with her but can not help her, she has her own buggy and everything even coupons if you clip them) then once you are home have her help you plan a meal with what you bought ( this could be a test if you needed it to be)

You could do different levels of cooking like... basic cooking,international cooking,advanced cooking ect.... When I was in the 9th grade we had an awesome home ec teacher she taught us how to make jams,jellies, homemade breads and biscuts,can veggies, and preserve all sorts of foods. That would be fun to do at home.

There are patterns available for learning to sew out there you could get those for her and help her with them as well as a sewing 101 (or similar) book at Half price books.

There are so many things you can do for home ec!

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2011 at 11:19 PM

In PS we had to take home and careers in grades 6-8. Boys and girls had to take it. 6th grade focused on cooking (although the recipes really sucked, I knew how to make stuff better than what they were teaching us lol) and child care (for babysitting). 7th grade focused on sewing and something else I think. 8th grade focused on the careers part where we learned about money, writing checks, and actual researched several careers we thought we might be interested in to learn about what kind of education may be necessary for the jobs, what they paid, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)