Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So at a loss *UPDATE*

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM
  • 31 Replies

The first day of school had some hiccups but we managed to get through it.  Today is the second day and it has blown up in my face.  Nothing is working out with this new curriculum.  I thought my daughter could handle a little more, and she helped pick things out, but it isn't working.  I want to just throw out everything.  I need to rework things and I don't know how.

We have:

PE - daily

Spelling - daily

Math - 3 times a week

Typing - 3 times a week

Language arts - daily

Science - 3 times a week

History - daily

Art - 3 times a week

Music - 2 times a week

Geography - daily

Phonics - 2 times a week

Health - 2 times a week

With my almost 11 mo, this is going to be a HUGE challenge.  I'm already starting to think of cutting out the "fun" classes, because it takes her so long to get done with everything else.  Read 5 pages and answer 3 questions, takes an hour, or she will complain she can't find the answer.  I really don't know what I should do.

***Update****

This is our new schedule:

Week 1

Math- Work book MWRF   and Khan Academy T

Phonics- Workbook TR     

Typing- Daily

Art- Reading and art TR

Week 2

Science- Reading M   Videos TR   Exercises W   Experiments F

Story of the World- Reading MTWRF

Health- Reading  T  Workbook R 

Music- Instrument  T   Composer R

Daily 

Geography 

Spelling Daily - Unless not a full week

Language arts - Unless not a full week

Social Studies

(R= Thursday)

So far this has worked.  I've reworked spelling and science to make it more interesting for my daughter and added Khan Academy because she was having a few problems in Math that it has helped with.  Thank you all for ideas and helping me.

by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DrJChappell
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 2:50 PM

how old is your daughter?

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 2:53 PM

She is 10 and working on 4th, 5th and 6th grade stuff.

DrJChappell
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 3:03 PM

that doesn't sound too strenuous. maybe she's testing your boundaries? maybe move the schedule around so it's academic work, fun work, academic work, fun work, etc? Or sit down with her and explain how you feel about it and ask if she can come up with any solutions?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Maybe try to start with just a few things and build up over a week or two? Maybe the amount was too daunting for her?

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 3:32 PM

It could be too overwhelming for her. Maybe she needs smaller chunks and a more concise schedule. What works for mom may not work for the student. Finding a balance where you are both happy can be the biggest challenge for home schoolers.

My suggestion? Break Geography into smaller bits for her and add it into the history class. The same with Health, smaller bits of info and tag it onto PE. Then, I would split the year between art and music. Art the first 1/2 of the year and music the second half.

And if that is still too much for her, then maybe look at holding off on typing. If you are not using a typing program, then just have her type her spelling words or type a journal entry every day to fill up the space for that class time.

One question. Is her reading figured into the Language Arts? Most girls her age really enjoy reading. So, that might be a bonus for her if you were to add in more of that into her schedule.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 3:47 PM

That is the schedule she helped make.  Geography is the easiest since we are using evenmore's daily geography.  History we are still working on and is one that is giving us a headach, I have two different programs and trying to figure out which one works, LIFEPAC (hubby loves what it covers) and All American History ( I love how it is set up), daughter doesn't know which she likes. I've let her look through and try both, she hasn't said she likes or hates either yet.  Haven't started either Art or Music yet.  PE is going out and running around, and health is sort of part of that.  We are using Learning Language Arts Through Liturature, and it's going okay, she reads on her own books she wants to at night, and reads for the class during the day.  Typing is a program that she enjoys.  Science we haven't started yet, more for lack of knowing where to put it in the day.  Math she enjoys right now.

MommaTasha1003
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I do not know much.. but here is my lil 2 cents.

PE - daily  (If possibly I would do gym every other day-if she is doing other normal kid activities like riding her bike. If you go to the zoo / museum Id count that as gym if you walk at a good speed, or try to work some biking/hiking into weekend family time) or if possible see if she is interested something like gymnastics/dance. The goal is overall fitness :)

Health - 2 times a week ( I would try to combine Healthy/Gym. Take 1 gym day & have it be health?  In highschool we spent 1st semester in gym , 2nd semester we spent mostly in the classroom learning health -- 12yrs of school & all i recieved was 1 semester of health!)

Math - 3 times a week (If she seems to be doing good in this area I would not change it, but if she struggles, she may need it more frequently.)

Typing - 3 times a week (If this is just for typing fluencing, 2x-3x a week is fine. A good typing program shouldnt take very long to finish. Most students learn typing in less than a semester.)

Spelling - daily 

Phonics - 2 times a week

Language arts - daily

Science - 3 times a week

Geography - daily (Try mixing geography into history. or do it 4x a week instead of 5)

History - daily (4x a week)

Art - 3 times a week (This will vary depending on goals/child so its really hard to say..3x or less would be good.)

Music - 2 times a week (Same as art. If your child is learning an instrument then 2x a week is good, or possibly not enough? I guess between you & child decide: What is our goal in art/music by the time child graduates? And go from there -- Some love drawing/ playing an instrument & its a life passion/hobby- so time devoted there would be important.. Some kids it wont have much value ever in their life &  their time would be better spent focusing on something else & only learn the "need to know" parts of music/art...)

Best of luck to you for finding the right balance! :-)

jamie8bing
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 8:06 PM
I attended a Susan Wise Bauer workshop at a homeschool convention and she gave me a wonderful suggestion. We are doing half our subject one week then do the second half the next week and just swap every other week. This is our 7th year homeschooling (13 and 11 yr olds) and we were doing a schedule similar to yours for the last few years. It was exhausting for all of us. This out of the box idea is saving my sanity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misselphaba
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 8:36 PM

It honestly seems like a lot to me.  If she plays outside, I would totally get rid of gym.  Just go for a walk or something as a family. 

Could you sort of let her 'test out' of spelling for the week?  Give her a practice test and see if she can use each word in a sentence on Monday and if she can do them, drop spelling all week?  Or just have her work on the ones she couldn't instead of all of them?

What kind of phonics is she doing as a reading 10 year old?  If she can read and sound out words, I'd mostly assume she has phonics down and would drop it completely.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 9:29 PM
Something like this is the only thing that worked for me. I left conventional school and went to alternative school. We flip-flopped weeks. I'm a detailed perfectionist who works methodically, so this arrangement worked well for me. It was fun for the teachers, too.

Quoting jamie8bing:

I attended a Susan Wise Bauer workshop at a homeschool convention and she gave me a wonderful suggestion. We are doing half our subject one week then do the second half the next week and just swap every other week. This is our 7th year homeschooling (13 and 11 yr olds) and we were doing a schedule similar to yours for the last few years. It was exhausting for all of us. This out of the box idea is saving my sanity.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN