Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Earthquake on the East Coast?!?!?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 5:13 PM
  • 7 Replies

I was sitting here in my living room watching tv and all of a sudden my chair started shaking.  Then I noticed my tv was shaking and so were other things in my living room.  I called my kids in b/c I just knew they were shaking the house but no, the shaking continued as we were all gathered in my living room.  I went outside after the shaking stopped and asked my neighbor if he felt it and he didn't so I thought I was going crazy.  I called my hubby at work and he tells me that VA had an earthquake.  I am in NC very close to Charlotte.  I was shocked that we felt tremors from it but we did.  They were felt as south as SC and as north as Canada!!!  Wow, scary!!!  So, anyone else on the east coast feel it??

Crystal~Wife to Robert~2/11/01

Mommy to Joshua~7/19/00, Lillian~7/1/06, Kimberly~9/9/10, and furbaby CopyCat~7/2/03

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."~Phillipians 4:13 (NKJV)

by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 5:20 PM
Not where I am in SC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuprMom12042702
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM
In gaffney, sc here and i felt it. I heard that it was so rough here that they are having to check out some of the older buildings in town for structure damage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jpanan
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 6:11 PM

I'm in NorthWestern Pennsylvania in the doctor's office. I didn't feel it, but the receptionist did. Actually she was the only one, maybe because she was looking at just one person and saw them shaking and thought she was woozy! :D Then they checked it online.. and indeed a Earthquake did happen!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:21 AM
I hate to admit this, but I was taking a well needed nap and didn't feel a thing. Haha. Apparently lots of people close to me felt it. I'm in sw Ohio.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liamoondancer
by Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I'm in southern Lancaster County, Pa. and we felt it!!  It lasted about 20 seconds.  I watched as all the decorative plates  and pottery on top of the wall unit "danced" toward the edge.  Luckily nothing fell!  The children were very excited to have felt a "real" earthquake - so we read about and researched earthquakes - in addition to watching TV coverage of the abnormal event.  Dekklan (age 8) is hoping for some good aftershocks so he can "really enjoy them now that he knows what they are!"

2turtles
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I"m in California.  Didn't feel this one, but i've felt plenty others.  They don't bother me so much, but I think I'd just about die if I had to go through a Tornado!  :)

mommyto2gr8ones
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I'm glad everyone is ok that felt it.  We used it as a learning experience as well and went to the USGS site and filled out an incident report.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)