Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

i need help!!!

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 5:54 PM
  • 7 Replies
DD is 6 and we just started homeschooling about 2 weeks ago and I'm at a loss. Last year she went to school and did great well with me she is now writing her 6 and 9 backwards and I have no idea why! What do I do with that it is frustrating me. She is also doing very bad at spelling. I am giving her words she had last year and did great with and she can't get them. I think she just doesn't want to how do I make her want to do spelling? I can't take anymore of her whining that she can't get them when I know she can! Any ideas? All the other stuff she is doing great in I just don't get it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
DrJChappell
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Maybe use a game? We like spellingcity.com

My 7 year old likes to play spelling bee with her older brothers. More often than not, we use their spelling words. First prize usually gets a drink from Starbucks or something from the store next time we go. Second prize is something they don't usually get to play with around the house. Third prize is a popsicle.

misselphaba
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I think it's normal, actually.  I've heard that even if a kid has been writing their letters/numbers for a year or two, they can sometimes 'regress' and write some letters/numbers backwards for a couple of months or so.

wright1212
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 9:25 PM

My 6yo DD has done the same thing. Today she wrote J backwards. When I told her to fix it she did a whole whining spell on why. When we are writing anything I have her pre-write on dry erase sentence boards so we can check it first. We do alot of this, but maybe need more. I am going to try more fun writing things so she wont get upset. LIKE let her paint something then write 2 sentences about it. Something like that. I am just assuming she forgot everything over the summer since we didnt focus alot on writing or math. OH and words, I have a cheapo little dry erase board we take with us. Whenever we have to wait for something when out I write down a few site words to review, but we do this everywhere. I am hoping that in no time she will pick it all right back up. I have her guess alot too, saying I DONT KNOW is not allowed. Good tries are greatly rewarded.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 24, 2011 at 7:59 AM
Are you using any kind of curriculum for these? Handwriting without tears is supposed to be awesome for those who flip there letters/numbers. We are using that and using all about spelling for spelling. My dd is also 6.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carolkey74
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:18 AM
Both of my kids wrote their numbers backwards. I think that's pretty normal.

My son is a horrible speller, so we started having spelling bees, as well. He will stand in a chair, and pretend he's spelling in front of a huge audience (he's my little attention seeker). If he does well, he gets a "prize", like extra Wii time.
romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Since she is doinng great with everything else, I suspect part of it is real, and part of it is in her head .  If children struggle with one subject, they easily get the idea "I can't", and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. 

I personally have what is called a "cookie bite" hearing problem, and it greatly effected my spelling, and even the way I enunciated some of the phonic sounds.  It is very hard to detect, so no one knew.  I was in my 30s before I figured it out.  Here is an article that explains the different hearing losses that are hard to detect.

Note: knowing the correct way to enunciate the phonic sounds improves spelling considerably.  Here are some free videos on the correct way for children to pronounce their phonic souncs.

Note: the videos are for the adults to listen to, and then evaluate if the child is saying them correctly.  If she has a partial hearing loss, you will need to make sure she is looking at you when you teach her the correct way.  Also make sure she is forming the sound correctly because she may be hearing something differently than what you are saying . 

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Like the other ladies said, change up the approach if you have to, make it into a game, make it fun for her. Maybe do a scavenger hunt around the house with the hidden words or something. 

With the whinning,  she is testing the waters a bit. This is new to her too. 

Good luck 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN