Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone here eat a "raw" diet, or an organic diet?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:33 AM
  • 22 Replies
I know the benefits of only eating food raw (veggies, fruits, whole foods like almonds, nuts, etc). But not eating anything cooked seems like a huge change for us. We have been trying to incorporate more organic foods, eat less processed foods, etc. It's hard, but worth it. I won't say we don't eat anything bad, because more than half of our foods are still not "healthy" foods but we are trying to make the change,

Anyone here eat raw or organic? My question is how to get the kids on board. That is why I am sloooooowwwwly incorporating it. Haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaTasha1003
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM

I hope one day we can take that change. right now its not going to happen because we are living with my mom..

Im watching "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" right now actually that is about a guy who is very unhealthy & the documentary  is about him going on a Juicer diet.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM
I don't do a lot, but I love to juice! My girls love it too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjp2707
by Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 12:33 PM
We have always eaten organic and now we are trying to go as local as possible. Our kids love going to the farmers market and picking out what they want to eat. We make our food frome scratch. You should come down to cincy and check out findley market our kids love it there. We basically make food fun the boys help make dinner. We make dinner and its put on there plate even if they say they don't like it eventually they eat it and love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 24, 2011 at 1:08 PM
Ashley I need some lessons from you, no kidding. I really want to get my family on track with foods and I just can never make things they like. I get so tired of the battles. So many days we end up picking fast food up because they will eat it.

I know I have done this to them, and they will "eat what I give them or not eat". But it is so hard for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 24, 2011 at 1:09 PM
I think my main problem is just finding healthy foods to eat, that doesn't involve fish or 100 ingredients. I'm all about simplicity and time, because I just don't have time to cook, or the money to buy a million ingredients to make what is essentially, chicken. Haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessed2bmomof1
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 1:51 PM

We've mostly eaten organic since before it was the "in" thing to do. We grow a lot of our own veggies (using heirloom seeds, not hybrids), without the use of pesticides and we raise our own chickens, duck, turkey, and pigs. All are raised organically; we buy whatever we can't grow/raise ourselves, from people we know that farm organically.

I'd been trying for years to get my family to switch from "regular" milk to organic, but my husband fought me on it....until I showed him the video "Your milk on drugs" ( pt 1 below). That was the wake up call. Now, we drink only organic, and purchase organic beef from a local cattleman.

-Eilish-
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 1:54 PM

We try to eat organic, but not necessarily raw. Of course I'll give my kids raw fruits and veges, but I will cook veges too. I would give them raw milk if I had a source to get it from. I would never give raw meat - that's just gross to me. We try and eat food that "remembers" where it came from ... in other words, not processed to the point where you have to read an ingredients label in order to determine if it's in there.

ETA: Actually one thing I LOVE is the non-homogenized milk. It's better than homogenized (even though it's not raw).

Precious333
by Julia on Aug. 24, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I was eating organic, not raw, but than we couldn't afford it. My husband is a HUGE meat eater too so we can't completely do raw, but I was buying raw milk, so much better for you! Also, raw oils and honey are good as well (of course raw fruits and veggies). I have a friend who does a raw diet.

mjp2707
by Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 2:29 PM
Were def not perfect and my husband is def a saint. He loves to cook and is always trying out new recipies. He joined weight watchers when we had our first kiddo 4 years ago. He got a lot of really good fundamentals from that program. Every week we have pizza made from scratch. He even makes the dough the kids can help so much with this meal and we can add veggies or friut whatever they like (I do goat cheese and sun dried tomatos) you could grow some indoor plants and use that as a lesson for julia. It will be so rewarding for her to grow it then enjoy it. I absolutely hate cooking so I have a pretty set meal plan for breakfast and lunch. I usually have a fruit cut up so I can serve something up that is easy. I also freeze pancakes. We use gluten free pancake mix and put bananas in it. Pop them in the toaster and bam a awesome breakfast(we buy local maple syrup. Pure maple syrup has many benefits). I buy boars head cheese. Since my kids don't drink milk cheese is a must have. Also cherry tomatoes, avacodos, apples with peanut butter, I could go on and on but I always make sure lunch packs a punch of healthy. Snacks are usually yogurt with granola. We started doing meatless mondays after a few weeks I decided I will stop eating meat. This has been several years ago and now none of our dinners consist of meat. So start off small. Promise your family a sit down meal 3 days a week then go up from there. Bake some chicken. My dh used to marinate in premade marinades from the store. Let the girls pick the sides from the produce isle. Gl. Maybe once we move you guys should come over and I can have scott make a yummy meal.

If all else fails scare yourself from fast food. Check out michael pollans books or the documentary Food inc. You will never look at food the same again
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misssy2000
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM

WE eat about 3/4 organic now. I have been reading about raw but even the organic for me is harder but that is more because I had to jump in 100percent overnight due to ds health issues. I started with organic snacks, then added in some other stuff. SO far so good, we already ate really healthy so it was not super hard for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN